Missing Christmas Cards

Not to be too politically incorrect, they could be "holiday" cards or "seasonal greetings, but in my mind they're Christmas cards.  I miss them.

I know I'm not being ecologically friendly.  It's easier to send holiday greetings through email or social media.  It's cheaper.  It cuts down on the carbon footprint.  I know, I get it.  But I still miss the cards.

I miss the envelopes that used to appear in my mailbox just after Thanksgiving (sometimes even before).   I miss the red and white envelopes.  I miss seeing the seasonal postage stamps.  I miss reading the notes inside.  I  miss the photos.  I miss the personalization.  (It seems what few cards I do get these days either have no handwritten signature or if they do, that's all there is to it.)

It might be a sign that I am getting old.  I still send them out.  I dig out my "left over cards" from the previous year that I have stored away.  I buy more cards.  I buy holiday stamps from the post office.  (Almost always buying more than I need and since I don't do much in the way of "snail mail' for the rest of the year, I end up using "holiday" stamps throughout most the year.  That is until it's time to send the next batch of cards and then I don't have enough and the process starts all over again.  All I can say is, thank goodness for "Forever" stamps!)  I pull out my old address book.  (It's the only time I seem to use it.)  I cross reference my contact lists with it.  I dig out red and green felt pens.  And the day after Thanksgiving, I start "doing" my cards.

With the advent of social media, I no longer send out those long "here's what happened" this year letter.  Most of the people know exactly what's been going on with me throughout the year. (So maybe I have cut down on my carbon footprint a bit.)  However, I do write a short note inside each one.  Just a quick holiday greeting, but it is heartfelt (at least by me).  I want each friend to know that I really am thinking of them at this holiday time.  Although I may do 20 at a clip, I put thought into each and every one that I send.

Every year I swear I am going to send less.  Every year I send around the same amount.  It just feels right.

For those friends who still send me Christmas cards, know that I enjoy them.  If you included a note (and I hope you did), know that it is read. Know that it is appreciated.

If you were thinking about sending holiday cards this year (to me or anyone else), I say go for it.  You'd truly brighten my day.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES