Open The Window

 


When I was a kid (yes, this was back in the last century),  when we would head to the shore (because you know we spent our summers at the NJ shore), as we crossed the bridge from the mainland onto the island, my mother would make us roll down all the windows in the car (we had to MANUALLY do this, if you can believe it) and BREATHE.  You wanted to inhale that sea air; fill your nose with the scent of ocean (mixed with the bay).  Fill your lungs with that air.

When we go away to the mountains (you know where), even though the lodge is air conditioned, I like to turn the air off and open the windows, especially at night.  The cool mountain air is great for sleeping.  Nature supporting good health.

Whenever I can, I like to open the windows:  in my car and in my house.  Now I know this isn't ideal during peak allergy season when the pollen count is through the roof.  And I do close the windows when I've got the heat on, and when I (reluctantly) have to turn on the air conditioning.  (I'm so old I remember when you didn't really need a/c in NJ.  Thank you climate change.)  Call me crazy (and you probably will),  but I think that fresh air and sunshine are good for you.  So whenever I can, I open those windows (and doors) and take it in.

This is especially true at the shore.  We're here for the fresh air, right?  I mean, we want to  enjoy the sun, sand and sea as well, but the sea air is part of that.  We're here to enjoy what nature has to offer?  Right?  We want the view.  We want to be outside and soak up nature.  Or am I crazy?  (Call me crazy…)

It's the holiday weekend; the unofficial start to summer.  I'm at the shore (where else would I be?) and I've got those windows open.  In my bedroom we have a sliding door that leads outside to a small (tiny) deck (which I've never used; you could maybe get one chair out there).  I like to keep the door open when I can to let the air come in.  (Through a screen of course; I like the air, but not the insects.  Let them stay in their domain.)  It was relatively dark outside when I turned off our lights.  It was a little loud; there were more cars on the highway and more people are down for the season.  (Actually more people are down overall, but with the holiday weekend it seems like EVERYONE is here.)  Reminder people, your voice DOES carry.  (The water aids in this.)  When you shout, your neighbors blocks away can hear it.  Unless they have shut up their house and turned on the a/c.  But why would you do that when it's not too hot out and the sea breeze is blowing?

I drifted off seeing the stars in the sky last night.  I woke an hour or so later with my room aglow.  A neighbor across the way had obviously arrived and had turned on ALL his outside lights.  He had lit a fire outside and was having a drink outside.  How did I know this?  I could see it clear as day because it was so bright.  I know he was wearing a light blue shirt and khaki shorts. (Which tells you how much light there was.) Are you saying, Bfth, just don't look!  Close your eyes and go to sleep.  Well, it's hard to sleep with this glare.  


I will say, that he did eventually go inside and he DID turn off the outside lights.  So THANK YOU for that.  However, isn't part of the joy of being outside with a fire is enjoying the glow of the fire?  Do you really need all that light?  (The answer, is no!)  Enjoy what nature has to offer...when it is light out and when it is dark.  We need both in our lives.

Circling back to my original point (yes, I'm rambling again), when I got up this morning (with the sunrise), I went for a walk.  (Which I always try to do, especially at the shore.)  It was cool out, but not chilly.  The perfect temperature for a walk, or maybe for sleeping in.  Then why did every house I passed (with ONE except) have the windows closed?  Isn't the point of being at the shore to get the ocean breeze?  (And there is a nice ocean breeze.)  The temperature was moderate; no need for a/c and no need for heat?  So why close everything up?  Why?

If you're coming to the shore, enjoy the shore.   Open those windows and let the breeze in. Listen to the birds chirp.   Better yet,  go for  a walk.  Head to the beach and put your feet in the sand  Play outside. PLAY!   Take advantage of what nature has to offer.  There is always time to close the doors and windows and hide from the heat of the day.  But while you can, take advantage of the glories that the outside world has to offer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close