It Always Rains In Staten Island

 


So obviously the title of this post is not true.  It does not always rain in Staten Island.  How could it?  However, to me it feels like it always rains in Staten Island because every time I go there it rains.  If not the whole time, at least part of the time.

Our Staten Island saga starts in the fall of 2023 when we first went to visit the Wagner college campus.  It was cold(ish) and (of course) raining.  We were greeted (as we made our way to the admissions building) by turkeys.  Yes, you read that right, there are turkeys living on Staten Island...or at least on the campus. Despite the rain, we had a nice tour and were impressed with what we saw.  But more importantly, it seemed like a good fit for my son.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later when we went back for a more extensive tour.  Met some great people and my son got to sit in on a class.  And it rained.

Moving to Spring of 2023; Admitted Students Day.  It started out as a beautiful day.  Guess what happened by the time we were heading home?

Move in Day August 2023:  not a bad day but then again we were there early on.  (My son's floor was the one that loaded in first so we were there just after seven in the morning.)  The day wore on and by the time we said our good-byes...do I have to say it?

Wagner Weekend:  Downpour!  Total wash out; at least weather wise.  

I could go on further, but you get the point.

Today it's raining.  Today we are picking up our son as his first semester is over. (Note:  We went out on Mother's Day to pick up some of his stuff because we knew we wouldn't be able to get everything into my car.  Guess what it did on Mother's Day?)

How did this happen?  Where did the time go?  One fourth of his college life has come and gone.

Just as when he moved out (and into a dorm), I know that moving back in will come with its challenges.  We adjusted to having two people in the house (so much less garbage and laundry than three!) and now have to adjust back to having three.  Our son has a very different schedule than we "old folks" and that's going to be a challenge for me.  (Another challenge will be getting ready to go to the office; I've been using his room as a "dressing room."  Since I'm out the door by 6:30ish in the morning, so I would put everything that I needed for the day in his room so I could get out of bed, close the bedroom door and my husband wouldn't be disturbed.  [Aren't I the good wife?]  For the most part that has worked pretty well.) There's going to be a lot of laundry today.  And figuring out where to put/store items. I figure by the time we get adjusted to him being home, it will almost be time for him to head back.

I see photos of friend's children graduating from college.  (Several of whom were also friends with my son.)  I am slapped in the face with the fact that although that is still three years away for me, it won't be that long.

How did we get here?  

Where is this going?

I guess we'll find out.

In the meantime, it's raining in Staten Island and New Jersey.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close