Words of Comfort, Words of Wisdom?

 From the end of 2021 till my father's death in July of 2023, I was the child who was taking care of her parents.  They say the roles reverse when you and your parents get to a certain age, but that's not completely true.  While you may be "parenting" your parents, they are still adults with specific thoughts and opinions.  It's difficult to honor that while also trying to get and give the best care possible.  It just very well may be IMPOSSIBLE, even though we dare not even think that.  And parenting parents is MUCH more difficult than being a parent to a child.  Trust me, I've done both now and the latter is more emotional and draining with much more complexities involved.  If you are looking after a parent (even if you have round-the-clock care), it is EXHAUSTING.  It is frustrating.  There seems no end in sight to the madness; until the end comes.  (And then there is more madness, but that's a whole other story.)

Having been down this road twice (and it totally sucked each time), doesn't make me an expert.  It does make me knowledgeable. It gives me insight that the average person probably doesn't have.  It definitely makes me more empathetic. 

Now that I am "done" (although the stress lives on in different guises), I'm seeing friends, co-workers and acquaintances going through the same thing.  Only it's not completely the same.  Everyone is at a different place in the journey, everyone has different resources.  Each situation is unique.  But the emotions (and there are a wide variety of them), the exhaustion, the stress...while they may peak at different times and appear in different way, the caregiving child (who now acts as a parent is the same.)

I would love to have words of wisdom.  I would love to provide comfort.  I don't know if I can, but I can try.  What I write might not help, but it probably won't hurt.

  • There is no right.  You just do what you can.  You try your best.  In your mind (in your heart?) it may not feel like you are doing your best.  You'll beat yourself up.  You'll feel guilty.  DON'T.  Easier said than done...In all honesty, it probably can't be done.  If you can't give yourself a little grace, at least let those around you give it to you.  Sop up all the love and support you can.  You need it; you DESERVE it.
  • You don't have to talk to anybody.  You don't have to share.  If you want too great.  (My friends, I am here if you want me.)  It's okay to say you don't want to talk right now.  You want help; don't be afraid to ask.  You DON'T want help, it's okay to say no.
  • Do it your way; not mine.  I'm not going to judge you.  (And if anyone does, they're not a good friend.)  
  • This process can be long or short.  While it's going on, it will feel LONG.  Brace yourself for it. Take care of yourself (as best you can) and if you can or want, let others take care of you.
  • You will be exhausted.  Let yourself rest when you can (if you can).  There is NOTHING wrong with going to bed at 6 PM at night.  There is nothing wrong with taking a nap during the day.  If you can rest, do!  (I know sometimes you want to but the body/brain is just not willing to give it up.)
  • Hospice is a wonderful.  Palliative care is a resource that I wish I had used earlier.  Ask about it.  The teams that supported my parents (and me) were amazing.  And if for some reason it's NOT helpful, let the team (or team manager) know.  
  • You will have to make difficult choices.  Make the one that is right for you and (if you can) let it go.  When my father was dying, I had to make a lot of difficult choices; I was heading towards my son's graduation ceremony when I hospice called me with an update.  I took the call, but then turned off my phone.  I wanted to focus on my son. I feel no guilt over that.  A little over a week later, I took my family away for a 4-day graduation vacation.  My father died while we were gone.  I TRY not to feel guilt about that.  I KNOW that it was the right thing to do for me and for my family, but that doesn't make it easy.
  • When a parent dies, the work doesn't end.  Although everyone's situation is different, I am still dealing with issues and items.  My mother still gets tons of solicitations in the mail (emailing the company and asking to take her off the list seems to work somewhat).  I'm still working through some of my father's financials.  (There is no way I could deal with any of their stuff without their, now my, accountant.).  Buck up and give yourself time and grace to deal with it all.  (And don't be surprised if you're getting stuff a year or more after the fact.)
  • There is no right or wrong...I know I started this "list" with those words, but it bears repeating. Just as you are a unique individual, so are your circumstances.  As you navigate this process, remind yourself of that.  This is not a cookie cutter situation; one size does not fit all.  All you need to do is what you can; that is the right thing.

I hope this post was helpful to someone.  IF my experiences and thoughts can be of any help to you (or you think they might), drop a comment and we can connect.  It's important to remember that although our situations may be different, they are also similar AND you are NOT alone.  You are NOT alone.

 I got through it somehow, you can (and will) too.  Do what you can for your parent(s); do what you can for YOU.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES