Friday Morning Thoughts

 


It's been a bizarre week.  (When are they not?)  Last Friday was warm (so warm that I rolled down the window in my car when trying to find the "correct" parking lot for the TWA Hotel) and then on Tuesday we got 6 (or more) inches of snow.  So I thought I'd share a few thoughts and observations because...why not?  It's Friday!

  • So I said all I got from the fest was a cold sore.  That's not true (and I even said that), I also got a cold.  The good news is that's all I got because no matter what you may think, Covid is still a thing and apparently having a field day.  At least 5 people/friends have tested positive.  I know that's not a lot when you consider all the people there, but that's just the people I KNOW about.  Who knows how many others got it.  My cold is mild and I had a good night's sleep (thanks Nyquil) I am also grateful that we "smuggled" in food and beverages as I heard there was also a case of food poisoning.  (Hubby and I always survive for 2-1/2 days on Jersey Mike's subs).  And I'm thrilled that I didn't trip/fall anywhere on the premises.  (Especially since my bone density is starting to go down a bit.  Per doctor's recommendation, I'm upping the calcium and vitamin D, along with my regular walks.  Based on my family history, osteoporosis is a reality; I'm just doing my best to have healthy bones and avoid tripping/falling...who isn't?).  We may be done with our annual fest(erring). Unless we can finally go back to our beloved (but not yet renovated), Crowne Plaza/Empire Hotel/whatever they want to call it.  Rumor has it that it MAY actually be a hotel again and not just an abandoned (yet not condemned) building.  (https://secaucusnj.gov/government/news/1028-new-operators-at-empire-hotel).  The question remains, will the halls still smell like stale hot dog water and sauerkraut?
  • Back to the topic of falling (which apparently several people experienced at the TWA hotel), avoiding a fall isn't easy after a snowstorm, which almost always includes ice around here, especially considering the hilly terrain.  Walking to the bus in the morning was a challenge.  While my neighbors are pretty good at clearing the sidewalks, I can't say the same for whoever owns the Famous Ray's Pizza building   (lousy pizza in my opinion, but...) or for whoever owns the empty building which once housed a Chase bank.  (Rumor has it that it will become a Starbucks and while I'm not a fan of their coffee, as a result I believe that corner will FINALLY get a traffic light which it has desperately needed for decades.)  Both businesses had well plowed parking lots (which I cut across), but unshoveled sidewalks.  As a result on Wednesday and Thursday, I ended up walking on Route 23, which clearly pissed off some drivers.  I'll take my chances with the street (especially when there isn't too much traffic in the morning AFTER the sun has come up) versus the icy and snowy sidewalks.  Funnily enough both places were well cleared by the time I got home on Thursday (not Wednesday), which makes me wonder if they were fined by the town and had to do it OR the town took care of it and charged the businesses.  I'm grateful that they were cleared so that when I next catch the bus, I'll have a clear path.
  • Who is Charlie?  That's the question I am asking.  I had an "it could only happen to me" moment last night.  After a long day at work, and not feeling great, I took a long hot shower, downed some Nyquil and hopped into bed.  I'm drifting off during Young Sheldon when motion is detected at the front door.  Hubby can see on the camera that it's someone with flowers.  (But Valentine's Day was the day before!)  I reluctantly get up and put on a robe.  When I answer the door there is a man who barely speaks English, but has flowers for Charlie.  I'm not Charlie.  He says he's looking for 21, but doesn't seem to know what street.  (Frequently we get deliveries for another street, across the way as they both begin with the letter M.)  I'm trying to look at the card attached to the flowers (which seem to be in a tin coffee can that is "decorated")  The delivery man yells back to the driver of the car, who also does not speak English, but I'm not sure what is being asked.  All I know is I'm not Charlie.  (There is no Charlie on our street that I am aware of; certainly one that doesn't live at 21.)  The guy leaves and the car pulls away.  Where they went, I have no idea, but they left the street.  (We watched.)  Should I have just taken the flowers and have done with it?  Wouldn't that have been bad karma?  And no, this wasn't a Nyquil induced dream; hubby was awake and can confirm that this DID actually happen.
  • Finally, we're two days into Lent and I've yet to break; no chocolate and no alcohol. (Unless you count the Nyquil...which I didn't.  Is that cheating?)  I'm continuing to try and show grace when I interact with people and have also committed to providing 40 items in 40 days (although Lent is actually longer than that) to my local food pantry.  I usually donate items weekly when I'm grocery shopping, but will admit that I've become a bit lax.  I'm not waiting the 40 days.  I'm making sure that I purchase at least 7 items each week that can be put into their bin.  I try to remember that Lent is just about giving up, but also giving.  That's a practice that I should apply to life every day.

Happy Friday to all...


Comments

  1. Interesting blog! Sorry the flowers weren’t for you! Hope you are on the downside of your cold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES