What A Difference A Week Makes

 You may remember (if you read this blog) that I had a big issue last Saturday when I tried to get into the house at the shore.  (If not: https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/01/hanging-on-craving-comfort.html).  Last Saturday was not one of my banner days.


While I knew that the water receded, I didn't know if water had gotten into the house. (It probably DID get into the crawl space under the house.)  Then we got snow and ice.  Not much, but...Then we got more snow and the temperatures really dropped.  There are plenty of reports on the news about frozen pipes, burst pipes and how to prevent it.  Worrier me wanted to get back into the house and check everything out.  I wanted to come down as soon as possible, but while I had Monday off, my husband had a doctor's appointment.  Tuesday through Thursday, I had to be in the office for my three days a week "requirement"  (For some fun watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQz_NvakuM) .  Friday, I had to have bloodwork done and it snowed all day.  (Although, thankfully we did not get as much as they predicted.)  Which led me to Saturday as the first open day to head back down.

With temperatures in the teens, I wasn't thrilled.  What if there still was water?  It would definitely be icy.  Would we be able to get in the house?

 I usually like to get on the road really early.  (In the summer the only way to beat the traffic is to leave before 7 AM).)  However, in the cold, I wanted to wait a bit before hitting the road.  I wanted the sun to come up and dry up the pavement a little.  I wanted to have some coffee.  (And I wanted to watch CBS Saturday Morning)  So around 9, packing up the car with all the stuff we had packed up the week before (and never unpacked) in addition to a few "new" items (a shovel to clear off the front steps and newly bought cameras that will allow us to see what is going on in the front of the house as well as the back so while I won't be able to stop the water from rising, I'll at least know IF it is possible to get in the house) we headed south.

How do you know it's cold out?  There aren't many cars on the Garden State Parkway.  There is ALWAYS traffic on the parkway, but it was relatively light.  Especially after we crossed the Driscoll Bridge.  We made good time and as I drove down Route 35, I was thrilled that there was no water (or ice) on the road.

We pulled onto our street (which had been plowed, although the wind had blown some snow back)  . I parked  on the street on the side of the house.  We got out, grabbed our stuff and trudged to the front door.  Unlocked the front door and all seemed well.  No sign of water getting in the house; either seeping up from the ground or leaking roof.  (Take that stupid insurance company who was so convinced that I had a "bad" roof:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2023/10/i-fought-lies-and.html)  I turned up the heat which immediately clicked on and started warming up the house (again, take that stupid insurance company...my furnace is in fine form!)  Then I tentatively turned on a faucet and water slowly started to run into the sink.  Yes, I let out a sigh of relief.  (I also said a prayer of thanks.  I am SO GRATEFUL.)

Now that I've taken down the wreath on the front door as well as the little tree in the den, learned how to access the cameras that my husband set up from my phone and started a load of laundry (both my husband and I had conjunctivitis last time we were here and I'm not taking an chances on pillowcases), and gotten soup for my husband at Wawa, I'm ready to tackle all of the junk mail that has accumulated in the mailbox over the last couple of weeks or so.



Or maybe I'll just go for a quick walk up to the beach before I throw clean wash into the dryer.  (It will definitely be quick as it is COLD!)

Whatever I do next (or don't do as the case may be), I will not stop being thankful. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES