Snowy Birthdays


 My mom said it always snowed on her birthday.  That was not the case last year (see photo above), the first January 7th without you.  (https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2023/01/dear-mom-its-your-birthday.html)  I felt it was important to go down and be with dad on that day.  And if it had been snowing up North, I would have given it a pass.

It's a year later and it's snowing:  

It started yesterday afternoon (earlier than they said).  The first real snow storm we've had over 600 days.  Now I'm not a big snow fan, but even I now that we NEED snow in the winter in NJ.   It's been unnatural and unsettling that it hasn't.  When the flakes started to come down, your grandson wisely came home and backed his (your) car into the driveway.  Then I carefully (and nervously) backed the white Buick into the garage.  (It took a lot of back and forth, but with guidance from your grandson I did it.  I know the garage isn't getting smaller and we've cleaned a lot of "junk" out of the garage, but it's still tight getting that car in.)  Then I backed "Blu" (my SUV) down in front of closed garage so that clearing the driveway might be easier.  (Notice I didn't say easy...it's NEVER easy.)

The snow blower, which hadn't been used in over a year was pulled out, and SURPRISE, it wouldn't start.  It had fuel, which had been sitting in it for far too long.  Dad gets the last laugh...he was always nagging about getting it serviced once a year.  He wasn't around to nag and we were too caught up in EVERYTHING else, so no service.  And now that it's needed...

The township had suspended overnight parking due to the storm. (Of course you're not supposed to park on the streets overnight anyway unless you've filled out a form for special circumstances.)   I have no idea who parked in front of our house yesterday afternoon.   (I don't recognize it as one of the neighbor's cars.)  I expected it would be gone when the sun went down.  It wasn't.  It was still there at midnight.  It was still there around 4 AM (when one of our neighbors was having their driveway cleared by a large and loud snow blower.  I HOPE that all is okay there and that the plowing service was just a little inconsiderate.  I DO worry about my neighbors.)  It was still out there when I shoveled this morning.  (When the snow had stopped and the wind had calmed down, but it was raining.)  It's there as I write this (and it's snowing again).  I'm trying NOT to be angry/annoyed because as a result the town plow service couldn't really clear the street in front of my driveway.  I probably should feel sorry for this person.  (But I'm not that good a person [yet, I'm working on it] and am wondering WHY this person has not been ticketed as per the township.) 

If it weren't for this weather, I probably would have gone to the shore, where your memory is everywhere.  Of course your spirit is here too...in the house that you grew up in.  Even though it looks very different INSIDE from those days.  (Although the bathroom is more like when you were a girl as of Friday night.  The shower diverter broke, so no showers for any of us until the plumber comes on Monday.  Plumbers don't work on Saturdays/weekends unless it's an emergency and I am NOT calling this an emergency.  A big inconvenience, but NOT a true emergency.  I don't mind a hot bath in the winter and your grandson likes it too.  However, if it goes on for more than a few days...)  I'm not going anywhere  today. (I reluctantly did church virtually today because I knew there was no way I'd get the driveway cleared out in time.)  This forces me to take down the tree (I've already done my part by putting away the ornaments; it's up to the guys to store it in the basement) and put away other holiday trappings. (Like the "Little Town of Bethlehem" set.  Epiphany has come and gone; so they should go too.  But maybe I'll keep the New England village set up a little longer? )  Once it's all away, perhaps a little house cleaning is in order?  Or should I just curl up and read a good book?  (No judgement?)

No matter what I do, I am thinking of you today (and every day if I'm honest.)  

Love you and miss you.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES