Thoughts on 2024: One Week In


We're a week into 2024 and I'm TRYING to hold out hope for this one, but thus far 2024 isn't impressing me.  (Come on 2024 you can do better than that.)  Here are my observations thus for (or may rehash of experiences over the past 7 days...or 7 1/2 days).

  • Conjunctivitis:  You came in at the end of 2023.  One the very first day of the year hubby had his first telehealth appointment about it.  He got drops and oral antibiotics and was doing well.  On the second day of the New Year, I got it.  I did a telehealth appointment and got different drops and oral antibiotics.  I started to improve.  Then one night (I think it was Friday into Saturday) I woke up with semi-glued eyes again.  So I put drops in early (around 4 in the morning) and it seemed to help.  Late last night/early this morning, my husband woke me up...his eyes were glued shut with gunk again.  (He had just finished his prescription.)  So it's off to the doctor's office later today.  (No more telehealth.)  I've still got a ways to go with my antibiotics and I hope that I don't "relapse" (I'm still not 100%)
  •  Snow:  After nearly 2 years, we got snow.  Not a lot, but snow.  I think we got 4 inches, which was then compacted down to about 2 when the rain came and then went back up to around 2-1/2 when more snow came.  (After we shoveled out.)  It was heavy and a pain in the BACK as the snow blower is out of commission.  Didn't help that someone parked in front of our house (which you are not supposed to do when it snows...overnight parking was suspended) which meant the town plow had to go around it and there was more snow in front of our driveway.  Sometime last night the car finally did move (after being parked in front of our house for approximately 36 hours), leaving a pile of snow.  I was going to shovel out the street so that I could move my car there, but before I could, someone grabbed the space.  Parking on our narrow little street is crazy.  Too many cars (our one neighbor has at least 4 lined up in the driveway) topped off with some home improvement work at various houses (including mine, but more of that later).   However, by the time I wrote this the vehicle had moved and someone (I don't know who) had plowed out the pile of snow that was there.  (THANK YOU Mystery person.)  I haven't had a chance to move my car there yet because I never brushed off my car when shoveling yesterday.  Lesson learned:  BRUSH IT OFF while it's fresh.  It will freeze over and be even more difficult to clear.  I should have known better, but...I did get most of it cleared off (and frozen hands and toes in the process...don't ask) and it will be sitting in the sun soon which will make it mostly snow/ice free by the time I have to drop hubby off at the doctor's.
  • Plumbing:  We used a new plumber today.  Why?  Because the company we usually use was closed on Saturday and the situation was NOT an emergency.  (Shower diverter broke; meaning no showers only baths.)  We called at least a half dozen companies, none were open on Saturday.  (Diverter broke on Friday night.) The company we used today called us back that day and said they could come Monday morning.  Another company texted Saturday afternoon and said they could come out Monday afternoon.  (Thanked them for getting back to us, and said we found someone else).  One called us this morning.  The other three (or maybe four) never bothered. I was very happy with the plumber who came out this morning (yes, it was not cheap, but nothing ever is) and fixed the problem promptly and with full explanation of the costs.  What I am always surprised at it service companies that lack service.  (And I have worked for service companies...one of which was VERY GOOD at service.) It's not just about fixing the problem (be it plumbing, electric, auto, etc.), it's about answering the call and communicating.  The plumber I used today I would use again.  The one who texted me on Saturday, I would use.  (Especially since they understood why I was going with someone else.)  The others?  Why do you have an answering service if no one is going to get back to you in a timely manner?  (Even if just to say; sorry we can't get there until x.)
  • Dry January:  I'm doing this again this year.  I never really notice any difference or changes in my mental or physical help.  I know some people drop pounds by not drinking, that doesn't seem to happen for me.  While I suppose a dry month is good for overall health, I have to say that I didn't see any difference last year when I did this, but was willing to give it a go again this year.

So 2024 isn't starting out strong, but there are still some good things that have happened in the past 7-1/2 days.  

  • I've finished my first book of the year (started it at the end of 2023) and started two others.  One, Lucy by the Sea is showing great promise, but it will be a bus/light rail read (to keep me busy), so it may be slower going.  Which is also a good thing because I haven't had to commute to the office since last Tuesday (when the conjunctivitis hit) and if we have bad weather has predicted Tuesday and Wednesday, the "upside" may be that I still won't have to go in.  
  • I've met a friend for coffee who I hadn't seen since the pandemic, which was very enjoyable. We talked for a LONG time.  (Which just may have annoyed the waiter at the diner, but there were plenty of tables and we tip well!).  She also recommended two podcasts for me to check out (she works on both):  Women & Crime and Campus Killings.  Now I have something new to listen to when I go out to walk using my new earbuds
  • I finished watching season 2 of The Gilded Age which makes me long for season 3.  (Hoorah!  There will be one.)  "Binged" all four episodes of Archie.  Jason Isaacs and Laura Aikman (as Cary and Dyan) were excellent, although I'd say the limited series was just okay.  I still need to catch up with season 2 of Bosch: Legacy which requires me getting hubby to sit down and watch too.  (He'd kill me if I started out on my own!)
  • The sun is out and the days are (slowly) getting longer.
  • I have my "word" of the year.  (It was randomly picked out for me):  Peace.  How can I go wrong with that?

2024 has 51 more weeks to go. Go on, impress me 2024!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES