Dear 2024



Dear 2024,

You KNOW I am hoping that you will be better than 2023.  Please do NOT try to top 2023 and get into my top 5 of worst years of all time.  (2023 successfully took the top spot from 2022, leaving 2012, 2020 as 3rd and 4th respectively while 2013, 2016 and 2021 all neck in neck for 5th position.)  I'd' like it if you'd go for making it as one of the best (2004, though starting out poorly, I believe claims the top spot with 1996 coming a close second.)  I'd encourage you to "go for the gold" and be one of those years where we all look back with fondness instead of pain and angst as we have for most of this decade thus far.  (Come on, be the year that breaks the downward trend.  You can do it!)

We are two days in and so far, your track record is so/so.  The "not so good" thus far is that hubby is sick (in all fairness that was carry over for the horrid 2023) and had his first tele-health appointment on the first day of the year with a diagnosis of respiratory infection and conjunctivitis (if it IS conjunctivitis, it's a new strain because it doesn't follow the path that it usually takes with eyes so gunky that they are welded shut) and I'm hoping that I'm not coming down with something as well.  (I thought I did have something at the end of the year, but seemed to have fought it off, only to feel like it might be creeping back.)  

The commute this morning was not too bad.  Although waiting in the cold...but that's part and parcel of what winter's about (as much as I don't like it.)  There weren't too many people, surprising since I expected lots of kids back to school, but no.  (I'm NOT complaining about that.)  Security was even tighter than before as I got off the light rail at Newark Penn Station.  I know I SHOULD feel good about that since it means they are focused on safety, but...

The "goods" on this second day outweigh the not so good thus far. (Although the day is young.)  While I was up way too early for the first day of year (before 7; and I didn't go to bed until 1...yes, I made it past midnight.  I wanted to make sure that 2023 was good and truly gone), it was a nice day.  I love waking up to see the sky lighten and the water glisten.  If I could live at the shore all the time...well, that's a story for another day.  I took a walk to the bay and the ocean.  Both were calm, which gave me a sense of serenity.  (Maybe that should be my word for 2024?)  Others were out walking as well and everyone greeted each other with friendship.  (Which is how everyone SHOULD greet each other. )  





Even driving from the shore to North Jersey wasn't too bad.  A definite plus.  When we got home the kid came out to help bring in "the stuff" and the house was in good condition.  (He had several friends over for New Year's Eve.  They were all "good kids" which is why I allowed a gathering with no parental supervision [I let the parents know] and they did not disappoint.)  My son even took out the garbage (which won't be picked up until Thursday) and vacuumed.  Perhaps my 2024 for him should be to get him to pay as much attention to general cleanliness on a regular basis.  (Come through 2024!  Come through!)

Besides unpacking what we had brought from one location to the next, I had the somewhat sad task of writing notes to two friends/acquaintances of my father who had sent holiday cards.  I did try in 2023 to let everyone know (which is how I found out a good friend of my father's died 4 days after him), but I know some slipped through the cracks.  Sending unhappy news is not a great way to start a new year, but I did want to acknowledge their kindness and to supply them with at least a little good news.  (That my son is doing well in college... a trend I hope will continue into this year, although his courses this semester definitely seem more challenging, so prayers and fingers crossed on that one as well.)  I also wrote some checks (taxes are due on the 1st of Feb, and I like to get a jump on that) because it's good to keep the finances clean and clear.  I even walked up to the mailbox to get all of this off my desk. (And to get a little more exercise.  While I am making no formal resolutions this year, I AM going to TRY and focus on moving/exercise and eating consciously with less "junk" and more nutrition.)  Being outside also gave me the opportunity to chat with two neighbors (always a good thing) before running home and getting warmed up with a toasty sandwich (have to get rid of those leftovers) and a hot bath.

So thus far (a day and a quarter/half in), 2024, you seem to be on track to be a better year.  Keep up the good work.  If you could provide more health than ill, more peace then strife and more mercy and kindness you'll be a contender for the top 10 (maybe even the top 5).  I encourage you to go for it.  I have faith in you!  

To quote Ringo Starr, Peace and Love,

Bfth


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES