Day 1 2020

Day one of the new decade down; 3649 to go until we hit the next one.

I plan to make this decade a good one.  (See https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-new-decade.html).  I don't, however, have a plan in place quite yet.  I will have goals and a way to try and reach them, but I don't like to put it all out there on the first day of the new year.  I don't want to start the new year out with pressure and stress.  No, NOW YOU HAVE TO DO THIS TO ACHIEVE THAT!  The first day of the new year is special.  I like to take it slow and do things/activities that I might not usually do.  (But nothing too crazy).

I like to sleep in on New Year's Day; especially since this year the next day I have to go back to the "work grind."  Of course for me, sleeping in means after 6 AM!  But for the last day of the last decade, I didn't get to sleep until 2 AM 2020!  (Which if you know me is pretty amazing!)  Usually, unless we are going out and doing something special (which we haven't done since...2014?  2015?  It's been a LONG time!), I'm in bed and ready to sleep seconds after the ball drops.  This year, I HAD to stay up.  While hubby and I were ready to crawl into bed by 8, my teen son was off at a party in town and I was the responsible adult picking him up.  (No holiday drinking for this lady...but don't feel bad for me, I did my share on December 30th.)  The point being, that I got to bed late, but still was awake around 6 (might have something to do with my husband's coughing...but I can't complain I've done the same to him plenty of times), but didn't get out of bed until after 7:30. (Shocking, I know.)

Although I knew the boy would not be up until late morning (it was almost noon), I still planned to make something special for "breakfast" and with this being not just a new year, but a new decade, I decided to try something completely new:  Raspberry Cream Cheese Crescent Danish.  (https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/raspberry-cream-cheese-crescent-danish/f007cadb-679f-4310-bc82-b02c16df9533)  Of course I had to add my own spin to it.  I'm not into almonds and I thought the drizzle might be a bit much so I omitted these.  Of course my version didn't look quite as nice as the Pillsbury website ones...

For one thing it wasn't quite so neat getting the rolled dough out of the can.  And then cutting them into 8 each pieces.  My eyeballing it didn't turn out so well.  I was supposed to have 8 pieces of equal size.  I ended up with 10 that were sort of equal.

I had previously made a Raspberry-Cream Cheese Candy Cane Crescent Danish that I didn't bend into a candy cane.  And I had half of the cream cheese "brick" left over which I used here with the powdered sugar.    Even liberally spooning the mixture in the indentations, I still had quite a lot of the mixture left over.  For the raspberry portion, I used up some homemade preserves that had been sent to me last summer (thank you Lynn!) and then used store bought jam for the remainder.  (Which is why the color and texture looks different in the photos).
 (The lighter shaded ones are the preserves; the darker are the brand name jelly.)  Popped them in the oven for 12 minutes and...

They may not be as pretty as they are on the official site, but they were pretty good.  (Especially when I added a dollop of left over cream cheese mixture on the top.

These were a nice treat and my whole family enjoyed them...some more than others.  (I think I'm the one who ate the most).

When my son finally did get up  (I know...I need to cut the kid some slack.  It's a new year!) he said he'd like to go hiking.  I had already gone out and done a walk.  (Which I really try to do on the first day of the new year, IF possible.  Even if it's cold, I'll go out for a few minutes just to get the year off to a fresh start.) Since it was a new year/decade I suggested we try a new (to us) site.  It ended up being just a walk because it was a paved path, but it was pretty.  (I'm sure it would have been prettier if we'd gone off the path and onto the trail, but it was pretty cold yesterday afternoon and WINDY to boot!)  And now we can both say that we've walked the reservoir trail at South Mountain Reservation.


We ended our day with a dinner of pork loin with a small serving of sauerkraut on the side because I've heard/read that it brings good luck for the new year.  I'll take all the good karma I can get AND I wanted to get the loin out of my freezer. (Sadly, my husband and I went through our freezer and found at least 5 items that had been in their way past their expiration date.  I think we tossed out at least $20 worth of food.  I HATE wasting food and even more so money, BUT...in the bigger picture it's better to toss than risk AND I have a cleaner freezer now with a clear idea of what I have and what I need to use.)

Before ending the meal, I poured out our jar of gratitude/blessings for 2019.  We usually read these first thing in the morning on New Year's Day, but reading them at the table at the end of the day was nice too.  The jar was really stuffed.  It's good to see how many good things DO happen in a year.  (Even if some of the things I wrote didn't really make sense! )

With day one down, I'm going to do my best to keep moving forward with the same positivity.  I hope you do too!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES