Eye Openers and Big Bangs



My world has been filled with stress lately; so much so that if I blogged about it, no one would read all that I'd write.  So instead, I wanted to write about some changes that aren't earth shattering, but deserve a shout out. 

With all the ups and downs and craziness of life, I need a little constant.  Something that I can rely on.  Something that gives me perspective in the world.  For me, at least on weekdays (and sometimes Saturdays), that comes at 7:00 in the morning with CBS This Morning and my "fix" of "Your World in 90 Seconds."  I can't tell you how much I love those 90 seconds.  I OBSESS about getting downstairs and in front of the big screen tv by 6:59 so that I don't miss this segment.  Most Saturdays I make sure I am up and in front of the tv at the same time so that I can Saturday's segment.  I am very much addicted to "Your World in 90 Seconds."  And if I miss it (which hurts...it hurts!), I TRY to catch the "Eye Opener at 8," which is good, but not quite as good.  Plus most week days I have to be out of the door before then so... My weekday mornings REQUIRE coffee and a dose of "Your World In 90 Seconds."  I don't know what I did before it existed and I don't remember being quite so obsessed with a morning news team as I have been with Gayle King, Norah O'Donnell and John Dickerson. (I was equally obsessed when Charlie Rose was there, but I'm not going to go down that path.)  They work so well together; they are serious, but also lighthearted.  They make me laugh, but also make me think.  I rely on them.  That's NEVER done that with any other news show.  I've NEVER been as dedicated/obsessed as I am about the current CBS This Morning.

But now all that is changing.  Norah left yesterday.  She will be hosting the evening news and I'm sure she will do a fantastic job.  (For the record, I thought Jeff Glor did a fantastic job too.  He's been gone for only a week and I miss him.  John Dickerson has been filling in this week [talk about a LONG day!] and he does a great job too, but I really miss Jeff Glor!)  Today is John Dickerson's last day.  He will be moving to 60 Minutes.  I'm sure he will be fantastic there too.  I've watched Anthony Mason on the Saturday CBS This Morning and love him.  I've seen Tony Dokoupil's work and he is great too.  I have no problem with them, but it's not going to be the same dynamic that I've come to love and rely on.  Gayle, Norah and John just brought "something" to the table.  I don't know what the "something" was (or is), but now it's gone.  And for the record, I never thought the format worked when they brought in a 4th co-anchor.  Again, nothing against Bianna Golodryga, but the show didn't work with a fourth person.  Gayle, Norah and John:  they were THE team.  They were MY team.  Maybe it's silly, but I'm mourning the loss of "my" team.  Sure, I'll wake up on Monday and watch.  I'll have my "Your World in 90 Seconds," but what comes after, as good as it may be, won't "feel" the same.  It won't be what I love.  And so, on this Friday morning, I'm little sad.

I'm also a little sad because another CBS staple is over...The Big Bang Theory concluded its 12 season run last night.  Without giving anything away, I have to say that I like that it went out NOT with a BANG, but instead ended gently.

I have NOT been a regular watcher since the beginning.  I can't remember when I started watching. I just know that I got sucked into reruns at some point and quickly became obsessed.  Then my son got interested in it as well and we watched episode after episode together; frequently binge watching.  It was something special that the two of us shared and that made the show all the more special for me.  My son would be embarrassed, but there used to be plenty of nights where I would tuck in him and we would sing "Soft Kitty" as a round.  (Those days are long gone.)  When I think of The Big Bang Theory, I think of the times when my son and I could laugh together while we cuddled up on the sofa.  Now that he is a teen that, like the show, is over.  We may find another show to bond over (Mom may have the home court advantage), but it won't be the same.


So here I am on this Friday morning, wistfully missing what was, but thankful at the same time.  Thank you Gayle King (don't you DARE go anywhere), Norah O'Donnell and John Dickerson for the mornings.  Thank you to the cast (including all of the wonderful and wacky supporting characters) and crew of The Big Bang Theory for the Thursday nights.  You've been part of my life; and you've made it a little bit better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving