An All Too Brief Vacation Part 6/Finale: All Good Things Come To An End...

( I am finally getting around to wrapping this up nearly a month after our long weekend get away.  In case you missed the previous installments, or want to review:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/an-all-too-brief-summer-vacation-part-1.html,  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/an-all-too-brief-summer-vacation-part-2.htmlhttps://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/08/an-all-too-brief-summer-vacation-part-3.htmlhttps://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/09/an-all-too-brief-summer-vacation-part-4.html, and http://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2018/09/an-all-too-brief-summer-vacation-part-5.html.  I feel it's fitting that I finish this up and post on the my 22nd anniversary.  Happy Anniversary Steve!)

I'd love to say that our final day dawned brightly when I awoke...it didn't.  I had never planned to rush home (especially since there had been flooding in our area on Saturday and I was dreading what I might find in our basement) and I had even thought that after checking out we might stow our bags and enjoy some more of the great outdoors.  It was a great idea, but Mother Nature wasn't cooperating.

We headed to the Windsor Dining room for our final meal.  Olivia was still present (she must have some schedule!) and got me everything I asked for and then some.  It was a large and delicious breakfast that was enjoyed by all.  (Including lots and lots of coffee AND juice!)  We took our time, but there IS only so much time to linger over coffee.  I did make it a point to go find Robert who was working in the back to thank him again for the wonderful service the night before.  

The rain seemed to be letting up a little, but not stopping. I thought I would try the South Porch again.


I enjoyed my book for about half an hour before the rains became too much and I moved inside. (Meanwhile, my son was upstairs blow drying his socks again...we all really wanted to take advantage of the outdoors despite the weather and it didn't always work out!)

About 45 minutes before check out, the sun DID peak out a bit.  
I took advantage of what I could get...no matter how limited it was.  I took a very short walk around the gardens.  It was obvious that the day was never going to completely clear up, so we might as well pack it in.  

Sigh...all good things must come to an end...even though we don't want them too.

Back in the room we made sure all of our last minute items were packed away.  My husband called for bell service and I went to the front desk to check out.  (I had a gift card that I needed to make sure that I applied to our total before we left.)

All too soon, Cory the bellman came down with our luggage and Robert brought our car around.  We were ready to hit the road and head home to NJ.



But NOT before a family photo.  This one taken on the  North Porch.

The drive home was relatively uneventful.  The sun came out.  Then the clouds rolled in.  It rained.  Then the sun peaked out again.  Then it rained.  Rain or shine the temperature went back up and it became very hot humid.  (Where it had been cool in the mountains.)  Back to reality.  (Laundry and grocery shopping.)

Some final thoughts...

There is always so much I want to do and never enough time to do it.  There COULD be if I stopped being "lazy" or just letting myself sit.  But how can I not?  This is THE place to just let yourself be.



For all the things that you want to do and see there will always be another visit...another season...and even more to see and enjoy. For Skytop is ever evolving and yet it stays true to its roots.  That is the beauty of it.  As things change, they also stay the same.  Evolving in a circle; like life.  As what was old is new.  Every spring the flowers start to bloom and come into their full glory under the guidance of the amazing (and unseen) garden staff.  As the autumn comes the blooms fade, the leaves fall (in magnificent colors, which I need to see for myself some day!) The air changes and becomes crisp.  There is a bite in the air as the season transitions into winter.  Each season has it's own glory; it's own unique beauty. Even I can appreciate the winter's charm when I visit.  (And I am NOT a fan of the season!)  Here you can see each season flourish and appreciate all that is splendid in this part of our world; the part that is called Skytop.




Comments

  1. Excellent trip report! It looks like such a lovely, peaceful place :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES