Thrift Shopping

Although I love a good bargain (who doesn't?), I was not a thrift store shopper until 2012.  Unemployed that fall (and into the early part of 2013), I lent a helping hand to my church's annual trash and treasure sale.  A behemoth of a project that took a week to set up for one day of shopping and several days of breaking down.  While it brought in much needed cash for the church (a smallish one with lots of good will, but not a lot of money for upkeep and mission) it was a royal pain in the you know what.  Or at least that's what I could see from my limited participation.  (I was not and had never been in charge; bless the saints that were!)

The brains (and brawn) behind the project, came up with the idea of using space in the church basement (which was rarely used) to open a thrift shop.  Since I was unemployed, this new project was something I wanted to be a part of.  Originally open only on Tuesday from 10-1, the thrift shop eventually expanded to Saturdays from 10-2 and during the spring months Thursdays from 5-7.

As with most thrift shops, all "employees" are volunteers.  No one gets paid.  They show up week after week, month after month and year after year to give back to the community.  And they don't just "work" during the shop's hours.  They spend off hours (and days) picking up items, pricing items, cleaning the shop, arranging items, etc.  Until I became part of the process (and I'm just a small player) I had no idea how much work went on behind the scenes as it were.  Besides the people who "worked" in the shop there were also people who took items home to be cleaned, built (or rebuilt) shelving, clothing racks...you name it!  What once was a basement/rec room is now a beautifully laid out shop with specialized sections, including a jewelry counter.

The Thrift shop has been a blessing to me and many others.  When my financial resources were really low (not that they are high now), I was able to get clothing for myself and my entire family at prices that were more than reasonable.  Yes, they are "used" clothes, but everything is in good condition. For the most part adult clothing was $2-$5 and children's were $1 a piece.  (There are items that are specially tagged because they might be higher end or designer clothes or even still have the original tags on them.) Housewarming gift -- how about an entire set of china for under $100?  (I wish I'd thought of this when I first set up my house.  The dishes that I have seen at the shop are ten times nicer than what I had originally purchased at a housewares store 20+ years ago and were less expensive!)  How can you argue with that?


Well you can.  I've heard it.  People arguing over a $1 item. I just want to say:  "Seriously?  Would you do that in Macys?"  I try to be polite.  I point out that our pricing is very reasonable and that every penny that we bring in is used by the church for its mission and for the community.  When the boiler needs repairing (and it often seems to need it), some of the money we make goes towards the repair.  When there is someone (or a family) in need we can offer gift cards to the local supermarket.  (We can and do offer items from the shop gratis.)  I mention that everyone is working for free.  And yet people will still haggle over a dollar.

Worse, things have been stolen from the shop.  I know shoplifting happens, but in a thrift store?  In the basement of a church?  We all know bad things can happen anywhere, and in the big picture, someone walking off with a $20 item is not going to make a difference in the world, but really?

So as you're doing your back to school or holiday shopping; check out your local thrift shop.  Remember that while you are getting bargains (and you really are), you are also doing two very important things:  giving back to the community (every thrift shop I have ever shopped in has a mission and is run by volunteers who are not looking to make a profit, but to help a cause that they believe in) and you are helping the environment.   (I bought 20+ glasses at "my' thrift shop for a party I was going to have.  They didn't all match, but that didn't matter.  They looked a lot better than red solo cups.  If one broke, so be it.  If the guest liked the look of the glass -- and many of them were unique -- they were welcome to take it with them as a memento.)

Thrift shopping is a good thing.  Make it a great thing and be sure to treat those who work there with the love and respect that they deserve.  They'll thank you for it.  (And so will I.)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES