Since We're All Talking About It: The Force Awakens

Everyone everywhere is talking about it (or at least they were until David Bowie passed away).  So, even though I not a die-hard fan (but I am a fan), I might as well add my two cents...

Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson (dated science fiction TV show reference for those of you who are too young):  Spoiler Alert Ahead!!!

Nutshell review:  Loved it.  Loved it so much that I managed to stay in my seat and not use the restroom once.  (Although I really needed to by the last 30 or so minutes.)  I had two cups of coffee earlier that morning (we went to the first showing of the day) and I consumed (with help) a bucket of popcorn so the fact that I sat through the whole movie without leaving my seat speaks volumes.  

I'll be honest one of the reasons I really enjoyed the movie is that I saw it with "my guys" at a local theater which is small in size and not unlike the movie theater where I first saw Star Wars.  (Back in the dark ages.)  We saw it over the winter holiday break which meant we could go on a weekday morning when it would be less crowded.  (There were probably 30 or so people attending that morning's showing.)  I also specifically went on a Tuesdays when all seats are only $6 (no matter what your age) and the big bucket of popcorn is "only" $5.  (Don't tell anyone, I smuggled in 3 cans of soda).  The circumstances certainly added to my enjoyment. 

It didn't take long for me to get emotional.  With the opening scroll I was already crying.  Here I was in a theater with my son and my husband seeing "Star Wars."  I was transported back to yesteryear when I was a kid seeing "Star Wars" for the first time.  It was glorious.  I was once again a pre-teen swept away with the epicness of it all.  (Embarrassing confession:  After I saw Star Wars I wrote my very first piece of (bad) fan fiction.  At the time, I thought I was the only person to ever do such a thing.  Who else could be as "creative" as me to write a sequel to the movie that was basically just a recap of the whole film, but with a young female character that Luke could fall in love with while fighting the rebellion?)

Of course as good as The Force Awakens was it was no New Hope.  It never could be; just as I never truly could be the pre-teen who was going to grow up and marry Mark Hamill (or maybe Harrison Ford -- he was married to his first wife at the time so that was a less likely scenario).  However, it was a damned good movie (especially at $6 a head) and I felt like I was passing the torch on to the next generation while we watched it.

A few observations:

  • Finn:  Who ever thought it would be possible to love a Storm Trooper?  Know there is a lot of "controversy" surrounding him.  (Only Storm Trooper we've ever seen is black; that sets a bad precedent.  Are all Storm Troopers of color or minorities?  Is the filmmaker trying to make a statement?)  Personally, I don't care either way.  He's a great character; it doesn't really matter what color, sex, whatever he was/is.  Not quite the rogue (as Han) and not quite the eager hero (as Luke).  Perhaps a combination of the best of both characters.  Drew me in before he even had his helmet off.  And I want to know more about his and his forthcoming adventures.
  • Rey:  She is the girl I wanted to be when I saw the original Star Wars.  If she'd be around then, Luke would have dated her. (Unless of course he's her father, but if that's the case, then I bet her mom was really cool.)  Forget about her being a role model for girls; she's just a role model.  Period.  She and Finn make a great team.  (And again it doesn't matter that they are male/female or black/white...they are just great characters plain, but not so simple.)
  • BB8:  Not as cute as R2D2 in my book.  Cute, but didn't capture my heart the way R2D2 did, but maybe that's because he didn't have a semi-annoying sidekick like C3P0.  (And speaking of which...)
  • C3P0: What's up with red arm?  Did his voice sound slightly funky or was it just me?  Slightly more annoying than he had been in previous movies, but nowhere near as bad as Jar Jar (who thankfully was absent from the film).
  • Po:  Movie could have used some more of him.  He's easy on the eyes and cocky, but not as cocky as Han Solo.  I really thought he was dead after the crash.  Don't see how he managed to escape (pretty flimsy excuse in my opinion) but I'm pretty glad he did.  He seems to be the "new" Biggs (for those of you who remember Biggs) but (in my opinion) more charming.  (Maybe it's because he got more screen time.)  Would be interested in learning more about him.
  • Chewbacca:  The wookiee can still kick ass.  How many times has he saved Han's butt?  Is it any wonder he's never home with the ever boring Nala, Lumpy and Itchy?  (Why did he want to go home for Life Day anyway?  Life is much more exciting with Han and the gang.)
  • Han Solo: Still has charming as ever.  Still as "obnoxious" (but in a good way) as ever.  (Oh Harrison Ford you so know how to play it!) Damn the man looks good (even with a hole in the middle of him).  Why the heck did that obnoxious brat have to put a light saber through him? Which brings me to...
  • Kylo Ren:  Talk about a kid who never got out of the terrible twos!  You thought it was bad when your kid had a meltdown in aisle two of Shoprite...your kid has NOTHING on Kylo Ren!  Mommy must have been working too hard to maintain peace in the galaxy while Daddy was off doing God knows what.  The kid has issues. While we all want to idolize Grandpa; even Grandpa saw the light at the end.   (And Grandpa was a true bad guy.  When he was evil, he was scary evil; not whiny evil.  Unless you start talking about the prequels which I'm NOT going to do.)   Why the heck didn't anyone in his family take a paddle to his behind?  (I'm not usually for corporal punishment, but for this kid I'll make the exception.)
  • General/Princess Leia:  Maybe you should have paid more attention to your kid?  But who knows what have would have happened to the galaxy if you did?  Seems like the fate of EVERYTHING rests on her shoulders...and this has been going on for how many years???  How has she managed to continue on for so long WITHOUT having a nervous breakdown of some sort?  Talk about your strong woman!   Maybe she should have just stuck to being a leader and avoided the whole having a child thing?  (Guess it's too late for that.) As a side note:  I thought Carrie Fisher looked amazing.  More amazing than she did when she was younger.  She is a REAL woman.  (If there's any plastic there, I couldn't discern it) Beautiful, yet not hiding her age.  (Why should one HAVE to hide her age?)  If there was ever any doubt of her acting chops, her (too brief for me) performance here should put any doubt to rest.  Bravo Ms. Fisher.
  • Luke Skywalker:  The whole movie was about trying to find him.  Certainly took them long enough to get the darned map to get to him.   Get next to no screen time and yet my heart swelled when we finally saw him.  A girl can never have too much Luke Skywalker in her life and if the ending was just a way to push me toward the next film; job well done. (And like his "peers" Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill is looking good!  Certainly older but incredibly distinguished.  Way back when, George Lucas certainly made the right choice when selecting these three as his leads.)

I know I have left out a lot of character and thoughts, but since I only saw the movie once (thus far), I think that's enough of my impressions for this go round.  And since everybody's talking 'bout it...what are your thoughts on any or all of the above?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES