Shut In: It's A Good Thing

Most of the north east is expecting a blizzard this weekend.  (Further South it's already started; up here in the Metro NY area we're just waiting for tomorrow morning.)

My family usually does our weekly grocery shopping on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings, so I thought I'd be "smart" and avoid the crowds (and anticipated snow mess) and go last night.  Avoiding the crowds I didn't do...I don't think I've ever seen the grocery parking lot so packed (and it's a BIG lot).  The store was crammed and the checkout lines were so long they went down the aisles. (I have to give the store credit though; they  had EVERY single checkout line open.  As crazy as it was there was no slacking on their part.  Kudos to Shoprite.)  We made it out alive (with our milk; bread was not needed, so someone else could grab our allotted loaf.)  And now we are just waiting for the inevitable.

I'm not a big fan of snow (or of winter), but it is a fact of life in the winter here in the northeast.  I can moan and groan about it, but I can't stop it.  But I CAN stop listening to nonstop news about it.  The amount that will fall may change, but the fact that it's going to be a lot of snow and white out conditions will not.  Being plied with up to the second news on the flakes as the fall is only going to raise my stress level and who needs that?

Since we're going to have snow this weekend, we might as well all be smart about it.  Judging by last night's grocery run, most of us are all stocked up, so there's no need to go running out tomorrow.  We should all be smart and stay shut in.

What is there that needs to be done?  Where do we really need to go?  When blizzard like conditions arrive, the best thing we can all do is just stay put.  The weather is going to force us all to slow down; we should listen to mother nature.

This will be the perfect time to catch up on all the things we never seem to have the time to do at home.  Time for Family Movie Day.  Time to make a good home cooked dinner (instead of rushing).  A side bonus will be that using the oven will make the house smell good and warm it up.  It's the perfect time for all those little projects that I just never find the time for.  (And time for my son to finish up that Social Studies project that is due on Monday.)  When it's all over (supposedly Sunday morning), we can all go out and dig out together.  (A safer and quicker way to handle all the snow that is supposed to be dumped on us.)  

If we're going to be shut in, I want to take advantage of it.  Even on the weekends I am usually stressed out about one thing or another. I am always rushing and focused on where I need to go to next.   Now nature is going to force me to slow down;  to spend time with my family.  I need to listen to mother nature this weekend and enjoy the "slow down" for as much as I may complain about the weather, it is also an opportunity to focus on my family (and myself).  It will be time well spent.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES