Dealing with Disappointment

I don't care of if you're 5 or 105; dealing with disappointment isn't easy and isn't fun.  There's  not "being mature" about it.  Disappointment hurts.  It brings you down.  How could it not?  Even little disappointments are hard to swallow.

Sometimes we need time to grieve when faced with disappointments.  There is no shame in having a breakdown and crying for a while.  There is no shame in getting mad and yelling and screaming.  Of course, both are situations are best dealt with in the privacy of your own home or place.  (Don't want to go screaming in the middle of the supermarket or something like that!).  Let your feelings out.

And then, let it go.  Not easy, I know.  But let it go and move on.

It sounds trite, but I was recently faced with a disappointing situation.  And I was sad and angry and a whole flurry of emotions.  I let myself have some time to be sad and depressed.  Time to be angry and frustrated.

But when I got up in the morning, these words echoed in my head:  "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again."  A bit trite, I admit.  But also a good line of advice.  Go on.  Keep going.  And although you may need time to let those emotions, you have to pick up the pieces and move on.

Not necessarily easy.  Easier if you have friends and family who are there to support you.  (And hopefully everyone has someone who fits that mold).

So that's what I'm trying to do today.  I'm trying to pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.  Somewhere in inside me there is a whiny child stamping her feet and saying "I DON'T WANT TO!  IT'S NOT FAIR!"  And while she's right, I need to follow the other voice in my head and go forward with a positive attitude.

Again, not easy, but when disappointment comes, we all have to move on.  We all have to pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and start all over again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES