He Drove To Elementary School

 


 Yesterday, my son drove my husband to elementary school. They should have walked (in my opinion), but my son has a car and a driver's license so...

It was the school that my son attended (and "graduated" from).  It was the first time he had been in the building since (I think) 2015. I think that shocked my son somewhat.  Walking into the building that he had spent so many years in for the very first time as an adult.

So why were my husband and my son heading back to "our" elementary school?  It was primary day in NJ.  This was the first time my son was voting!  (If you are wondering why I didn't go too, this was a primary and I am registered as "unaffiliated" so I'm not eligible.)

I am glad that this was his first experience.  I knew that there wouldn't be a lot of people there.  (Sadly not many turn out for primaries.)  I wanted him to go with his dad so he could have guidance if he needed it.  (He didn't.  The two of them had reviewed the ballot the day before and gone over the process.)  I wanted him to be there if there were any issues, as this was his first time.  (There weren't).  Finally, I wanted him to be there to witness the event.

Because this IS an event.  It is an important event.  He is a legal adult and he is now able to cast his vote and have his voice heard.  It doesn't matter what type of election it is,  when you legally CAN vote, you SHOULD. Not everyone in the world has this right or this privilege.

The next time he will vote will be via mail in.  He will be back at college and out of state.  But he WILL vote.  His father and I will vote in person on Tuesday, November 5th at that very same elementary school where he was yesterday.

So wherever you are, whoever you are, when you are eligible to vote, do so.  It doesn't matter if you are 18 (thank you 26 amendment) or 118 (God bless you if you are) or anywhere in between.  It doesn't matter if you walk, drive, bike, take a hovercraft (oh wait, those aren't a thing, yet...) or whatever method you have the ability to use.  Just vote.

Make your voice heard.  Have your vote count.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close