Birthday Wishes

 


Today is NOT my birthday.  Today is the 80th anniversary of D Day.  (And if you don't know what that was, you need to dig in now and learn.)  However, my birthday is fast coming up (it's tomorrow).  And if you are reading this I have two requests for gifts that you can give to me.

Number 1 is to remember and honor those who gave their all on this day 80 years ago.  Without them, our lives today would most likely be very, very different.  There were 9,388 American soldiers who died on D-Day or shortly after and are buried in a cemetery in Normandy, France.  They, and the ones who survived (and there are still a few who live today), NEED to be remembered.  Take a moment today to reflect on what they did and WHY they did it.  Honor them by thinking and acting as they would have.

Number 2 is more personal.  No matter what your faith or beliefs may be, I would ask you to offer a prayer or good thoughts or positive energy into the universe (however you want to put it) for my dear friend, AT.  (AT is a very private person, so I will share no personal information.  I will say that if you know me or have lived in my community, you probably know AT.)  AT has been in the hospital for 2 weeks with an infection and will be having a second surgery either today or tomorrow.  So I am asking for the univere to be flooded with prayer and positivity for AT.

AT, like those soldiers who we remember today, has lived a life of service.  Through AT's seemingly small actions, great things have been done.  Lives have been bettered simply because AT has been a part of it. For decades AT has been teaching through loving action countless children and adults.  AT is far from perfect (and AT would be the first one to tell you that), but I have rarely met a person who more exemplified the TRUE meaning of Christianity.  Or to put it in broader terms, I have never encountered a person who showed me what humanity could and should be.  Someone who doesn't trumpet their own acheivements, but rejoices in the achievements of others.  Someone who welcomes you with open arms and a loving heart.  AT welcomes all (or so it seems) and treats all with dignity and compassion no matter who you are or what the circumstances might be.

I have probably known AT all my life.  Although we are not related by blood, he IS family to me.  (And I know I am not the only one who feels that way.)  What a blessing AT has been to this world for over  decades.  (Yes, you have read that right.)  I and everyone who knows AT wants and needs the light that AT has provided to continue to shine and spread.

So if you could, grant me these two birthday wishes today.  I appreciate and need them.  I think the world does too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close