The Virus Diary: Walking In The Park

I walked in the park this morning for the first time since March.  The park had been closed and only reopened on Saturday with the following at the official entrances.  

It makes sense.  The last time I was in the park was a sunny Sunday afternoon and it was full of people.  Some who were social distancing and some were not.  The county park was closed, but people still were walking there.  It doesn't seem like a big deal if you are walking around the park, but so many things that once didn't seem like a big deal are.   I wanted to walk in the park, but the signs said no.  So I didn't.  Eventually, the police had to patrol the area, driving around the path in a car announcing that the park was closed (even though there were signs at the main entrances and the road that runs through the park was closed off with sawhorses.  (Which I saw some people drive AROUND!)  Finally the park put the orange "gate" (as seen in the above photo) around all the entrances.  That seemed to keep most people out.  (Although I still can't understand what people don't get about the word "CLOSED.")

I am a pretty dedicated morning walker and with the quarantine in place, I'm walking as often as I can just to get out of the house.  Generally I don't walk in the morning when it's really cold (under 40) or raining.  I will walk later in the day if I can.  (Hence my walk on Saturday afternoon when it started to SNOW!  IN MAY!)  When I walk in the mornings (around 5 AM), I usually do not wear or have a face covering.  There are fewer people outside in the early morning than there used to be.  There are definitely MORE people out during the daytime and although I don't wear a face covering, when I am out walking and I know there are going to be more people out, I do usually bring a scarf with me.  I keep it around my neck or in my pocket.  If I got to a point where I felt there were too many people, which I have yet to experience, I would cover my face.  

This morning I decided I wanted to walk to the park.  I have walked past the park recently and haven't really seen many (if any) people in the park that early in the morning.  However, since I was planning on going IN the park, I needed a face covering.  It didn't matter if there were people there or not.  The park had been reopened and had requirements I and EVERYONE needed to follow.

It was chilly this morning (when is it really going to feel like spring), so along with my down vest and mis-matched knit gloves (Dollar Tree), I wrapped a knit scarf around my neck.  I kept the scarf around my neck as I walked.  On all the streets I traveled, I did not see a single person.  Once I got to the entrance of the park, I pulled the scarf up so that it covered my mouth AND my nose.  There was no one in sight, but rules are rules.

It was nice to be back in the park where the birds were chirping (and the Canadian geese were hissing to protect their young).  It was still cold but so pretty.




What wasn't so pretty was ME!  
  Yes, I look strange.  But then again I never look great when I am out walking in the morning because I generally roll out of bed, throw on whatever and go.  What's important here is that I was following the rules.  Even though wearing a scarf around my nose and mouth was not pretty or all that comfortable, it's a REQUIREMENT to be in the park.  It's NOT a requirement only when the park is full of people.  It is a requirement period.  I want to be able to walk in the park.  I want the park to stay open.  That's why I followed the rules.

I did a lap and a half around the park.  During that time I saw three people.  A silver haired man in a sweatshirt and shorts who I had never seen before who was NOT wearing a mask.  A very athletic woman who I have seen many times in the park jogging/jumping rope who was NOT wearing a mask.  And finally a gentleman I know from church, who was putting on a mask as he entered the park.  I was glad to see him as he is older than me (I'm not saying OLD!) and probably falls into the higher risk group.

Neither he or I are special  (although we are each unique), we were just following the park's requirements.  Something that is a no brainer.

I want to walk in the park again.  I don't want to wear a facial covering.  But that is what I NEED to do in order to be in the park.  I don't like wearing facial covering when I go shopping, but that is what I NEED to do.  I'm sure all of the retail workers who are wearing masks don't want to wear them either, but this is what we all need to do.  We NEED to follow the rules.  We need to adhere to the requirements.  We need to keep ourselves safe and we need to keep others safe.

To recap:  if you see me out there walking around town, I probably won't be wearing a mask.  If we pass each other, I will say hello (even if I don't know you), but I will stay a safe distance away from you as I pass (even if that means that I have to walk into the street.)  If you see me in the park, I WILL be wearing a facial covering.  And I hope if I see YOU in the park, you will be wearing one too because we ALL need to stay safe and we need to stay well.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES