Bedtime Prayer

 I  had trouble sleeping the other night.  (No surprise there with all that is going on in the world!)  I had actually gone to bed early and had no trouble falling asleep; I took a child's Benedryl for allergies and to help me sleep.  Getting to sleep was no problem, but I woke up at 1AM and couldn't fall back to sleep.  Maybe it was all the caffeine I had during the day.  Maybe it was the chaos and stress that the day had brought.  Probably it was a combination of the both.

When I was younger (but not YOUNG), I couldn't fall asleep until I said a prayer.  I always said the commonly known "Now I lay me down to sleep..."  But the only version I know is the "if I die" and I just didn't want to say that.  What I didn't know was that there are other versions.  I was not in the mind to go google at 1 AM.  (Even though I have in the past.)  I could have said the Lord's prayer or something else, but I wanted something specific to rest and calm.

So as I lay there, I came up with the following.

Dear Lord
Give me rest
Grant me peace
Refresh my spirit
Renew my soul
Amen

I think I'm going to use it nightly.  It will be MY bedtime prayer. Not that it's "better" than any other prayer, but it reflects what I need:  rest, peace, refreshment and renewal.  By saying it over several times, it really did have a calming effect.

I also added two lines to say when I need calm, but am NOT going to sleep, which I thought of this morning while I was out walking.

Dear Lord
Give me rest
Grant me peace
Refresh my spirit
Renew my soul
So that I may serve with joy
My family, my friends and the world
Amen

During this time of uncertainty, prayers give me comfort.  No matter what is going on in the world, comfort is a good thing.  

Be safe and be well.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES