Random Updates: Frustrations and Joys

Thought it might be time to bring some updates on previous blog posts. Is this a cheat for writing?  Who knows.

Let's start with the not so serious, although serious:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/missing-oprah.html
Yes, I am STILL missing Oprah.  AND its time for the December Holiday issue.  Yes, I can read it on my device (and I WILL), but I really want those glossy pages in my hand.  Since calls to the local postal service in the past as fallen on deaf ears, I've recently submitted a customer service complaint on line.  My lack of mail doesn't fall into the categories that they necessarily have outlined, so I fudged it.  I hope to get a response and give a better update soon.  More importantly, I hope to get a physical magazine in my hand (and continue to receive my circulars as I miraculously have for the past 2 weeks and NOT have to depend on my coworker to get Shoprite coupons!)


Moving on to the emotional:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-view-from-window.html  and https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/a-view-from-window.html.  The first post was picked up by the local news source, and the feedback I got from that was very supportive. (Thank you to all who took the time to comment.)  I STILL look out the window.  It's a hard habit to break.  To try to put a lighter spin on things, I do have to say at least the dumpster (from the photo on the left) and the porta-john that sits on the front lawn (where the dogwood tree once bloomed) are an autumnal orange.  The noises of hatchets and buzz saws compel turn my head and the bam of flooring and walls hitting the dumpster lure me to look.  I try to take solace in the fact that one day this will be a beautiful new home (and it DID need serious work) that I hope a new family will find joy and pleasure in. 


Meanwhile, the house on the other side of us is also for sale.  Talk about change!  It's a larger home (than mine and what used to be my family') and in beautiful condition, so I am hopeful that a new family will embrace our special block and become part of our "dead end" family.

There is a parental side of me:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/11/proud-mom-happy-mom.html.  Maybe I shouldn't have been so proud.  No, I take that back, maybe I should not have BRAGGED about my kid.  Out of the gate for the 2nd marking period and he's dropped the ball in math.  While this is not a good thing, it IS good timing.  This math quiz came the day before "The Comedy of Errors" opened, so I knew he probably wasn't going to do his best.  But it was also an opportunity to see how he would do without much study or any help.  The answer is:  not so good.  The good news, is that we can work with this.  The better news is that I just happened upon someone who does math tutoring (which I never knew) and who is not just an excellent teacher, but one of those unique people who just connects with kids and has a personality that can make any subject seem exciting.  Even better is the fact that my son was NOT completely averse to it.  He wasn't thrilled, but he didn't fight it.  (Which would have been a thing in the past.)  When it was over, he said that he liked the tutor, that she was someone he could talk to.  (Score!) Math quiz #2 is coming up and I'm thinking the tips and boost of confidence she gave him will make a big difference.  (Keep those fingers crossed.)

And then from much earlier in the year:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2019/03/ready-for-high-school-years.html.  He WAS ready for high school.  It's such a better place than middle school.  I'd like to say that he's more organized too.  He's more mature.  He really is.  And it's amazing.  Of course, having said that, on Wednesday night at 9:30 he comes to me and says (in a nutshell) that all his friends from summer camp are going to camp this weekend for a retreat and can he go?  Cost?  Timing?  He has no clue.  But being super-mom, I say I'll give it a try and by 9 the next morning I had the camp on the phone, got the details and had him registered.  I told him to consider it an early Christmas present and I think it paid off because when we pulled into the lot on Friday night to drop him off, even before he got completely out of the car, a bunch of girls were screeching his name.  He had a great time (despite the cold and rain) being with a group of friends that he has kept in touch with (thanks social media) since the summer.  And there was still time for the tutor AND for him to go hang out with another friend from high school on Sunday afternoon.

Life isn't perfect, and it never will be, but as I look at how things continue to unfold, I think my family and I are doing okay.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving