Cardigans and Kindness


Will you wear a cardigan tomorrow (Nov 13)?  I hope you will.  And by doing so I hope you remember to make an extra effort to be kind.

Did you know that November 13th is World Kindness Day?  I didn't until social media tuned me in and encouraged me to wear a cardigan, in honor of a man whose name is pretty much synonymous with kindness and compassion; Fred Rogers.

Let me backtrack a little.  Checking out the World Kindness Day website, I found out the following:  "World Kindness Day is an international holiday that was formed in 1998, to promote kindness throughout the world and is observed annually on November 13 as part of the World Kindness Movement. It is observed in many countries including the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia and the U.A.E. World Kindness Day presents us with the opportunity to reflect upon one of the most important and unifying human principles. On a day devoted to the positive potential of both large and small acts of kindness, try to promote and diffuse this crucial quality that brings people of every kind together. "

This world could certainly use a little more kindness.  In my book, it's too easy to be thoughtlessly mean.  I KNOW I am guilty of it.  Focusing on a day to be kind seems like a good idea.  A day where I CONSCIOUSLY make an effort to be kind.  It SHOULDN'T be a difficult thing to do.  It IS something that requires thought; at least on my part.

Which is why I am determined to wear a cardigan, just like Mr. Rogers.  (I'm actually wearing one as I write this...being kind for more than one day is not a bad thing!) It might not zip, like most of his sweaters did. (Can you imagine how difficult it would have been to button and unbutton a sweater on television?)  But it will be a reminder to be kind.  To be like Fred Rogers; a man that is deserving of my admiration for what he did and what he TRIED to be.  (I say try because no man or woman is perfect.)  

It is perhaps a commentary on our world when I/we have to make a choice to be kind, rather than just being kind.  Shouldn't we just be kind without thought?  I wish we could.  I wish I would.

But if meanness and cruelty is the norm of the day, then I can at the very least, take ONE DAY out of 365 and make the effort to be kind.  To act with kindness to those who cross my path.  To show compassion to those I know and those that don’t.  To smile. To speak considerately. To strive to be the person I want to be, but so often am not.  And I will do it while wearing a cardigan.

Won't you wear one too?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving