Gratitude and Thanks


This month has flown by and as it wraps up, I'm realizing that while November is often considered the month of gratitude and thanks, I've done neither.  I'll admit that it's been a difficult autumn.  I've spent too much time focusing on the difficulties.  I've whined and complained, and sadly, GAINED poundage.  (Feeding my emotions with "stuff" that makes me "feel good" in the moment, but not so much in the long run.)  So I want to end the month on a better note.  I want to end on a note of thanksgiving.

So let me take some time to look at the good instead of the bad.

For example, I came down with a cold last week.  Nothing horrid, but enough to make me feel crappy and uncomfortable. I'm still not completely healthy (there's that darned nagging cough), but I am better.  And too look at it from a position of gratitude; I'm grateful that I got sick when I did.  AFTER the run of my son's school play and BEFORE Thanksgiving.  I am grateful that I have the resources to get the medicine (Dayquil/Nightquil) and supplements (Cold Ease and Zicam) to make me feel better and help build up my immune system.  I'm grateful that I have the ability to get to the doctor (even though I didn't need to).  And I'm grateful that I was given the flexibility to work from home on those days when I really felt poorly.  (I'm sure my co-workers were grateful too!)

Speaking of work; my commute is a pain in the...Route 3:  I HATE IT!  (Although after traveling Route 280 when I was called to jury duty, I am actually GRATEFUL that I don't have to do that every day!)  My job, like most, can be stressful, frustrating, annoying and I don't get paid enough.  (Is there ever enough?)  However, I DO have a job.  I work with people that I like.  Some of those people I REALLY like.  I work in a building where I sometimes interact with people I USED to work with!  (How cool is it that in the very next office suite are at least a half a dozen people that I used to have the pleasure of working with and more than 5 years after we last saw each other and spoke, now I get to see them again in the hallways?)  I have a car that gets me there on a daily basis; one that I own and is in good condition.  (I hope I didn't just blow it with that!)  And as I said previously, I am able to work from home sometimes, which makes my life so much easier.  Would I like more money?  Heck yes!  Who wouldn't?  But a job isn't just about the money.  It's about benefits (I have them!) and flexibility (ditto!).  Overall, I'm happy where I am and I give thanks to all those I work with for making it a place that I like to go to.  (Even if I don't always like the commute!)

I am thankful for my home.  It's imperfect; just like me.  But it's warm, cozy and (mostly) clean.  It's been in my family since 1924. How many people can say that?  Although it has been difficult to look out my window recently, as I see the demolition of what used to be my family home, what I SHOULD be seeing is the potential for a renovated and renewed home for a new family.  I also need to be thankful that I don't have to worry about looking after it while my parents are away.  (No more checking the boiler!)   As they say (and I think this is apropos for the season):  you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.  (Of course I'm deathly allergic to eggs!)  I'm also reminded that while winter may be bleak; there is always the promise of spring.  I hope by spring to see something beautiful blossoming next door.  (But don't hold your breath that I won't write any more bitching post about the whole situation...I'm not that good!)

Most importantly, I am thankful for the people that surround me.  I'm not just talking about family and friends; although they are the most important thing in the world to me.  I'm talking about the teachers who have made this (thus far) a great freshman year for my son.  I'm talking about the crossing guards who look out for all of us.  I'm talking about the butcher who remembered me yesterday.  I'm talking about the cashier at Shoprite.  All those people who touch our lives in a positive way and don't even know it.  Thank you.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to read this.  Wishing all a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the blessings of the upcoming holiday season.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES