Random Thoughts For Groundhog Day
On my drive to work today there was a roadway sign that warned me: Winter Weather Today. Seriously?! It's February 2nd in the northeast, what else might I be expecting? (I know what the sign was trying to tell drivers is that there will be mix of snow/rain/ice during the day, but...)
Today in the United States we "celebrate" Groundhog Day (which if you don't live in the US or Canada you probably know about because of the Bill Murray classic movie). It's not a national holiday, so I don't know how much celebrating is actually done. (Of course it also falls on a Friday this year, which is as good an excuse as any for a 3 day weekend in my book). I mean all the rodent has to do is poke his head out and see his shadow (or not) so that we may determine the length of winter. How a rodent became the predictor of weather is beyond me. (Yes, I know it's based on Dutch/German superstition.) And what does the rodent think? "Why the hell are these morons grabbing me?! Can't I just go back in my den and sleep? Who ARE all these people? Why the HELL are they here??" I have to wonder is this cruel and unusual punishment for a groundhog.
Other random thoughts that I have on this February Day:
- I got my new phone in the mail yesterday. I hate the fact that I had to buy it. After all I got my "old" Samsung in the fall of 2016 and I am of the "old school" mind that things should last. (I know this mindset makes me "old"). If I'm going to spend $100 or more (give or take) on an item, I'd like it to be worth the cost. (Again, "old school," I know to some people $100 is nothing, but to me anything over $20 needs consideration. As the Donna Summer song tells me, I work hard for the money. I don't have the luxury of disposable cash.) The Samsung was "cheap" (as far as phones go) and I certainly did NOT do the kind of research I should have. Learned from this mistake and so far the new Moto G5S is pretty awesome. Purchased for a "reasonable" price (again as far as phones go),I should have considered this before. (I have to admit the "Hello Moto" commercials completely turn me off and as a result I really didn't consider them before. Am I the only one???) It's bigger (not necessarily something I wanted) and faster and I'm enjoying playing with it. Now I just need to get a case for it. Anyone have any suggestions?
- I'm stuck in a rut with Weight Watchers. I've been gaining/losing the same 2.5 pounds for nearly two months now. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm close to my goal. (MY goal, which is heavier than WW would probably like, but it's where I can reasonably see myself.) It also probably has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't been able to be outside and doing more walking. (I do the inside videos, but during the warm month I do a morning walk and sometimes a lunchtime walk too.) The new "Freestyle" does NOT work for me. (I know I talked about that before...it's great for everyone else who does not have good allergies to poultry, eggs and beans!) While I HAVE changed my eating habits, I do love my wine, carbs and sweets which will always make weight loss (and maintenance) a challenge. I know I need to shake it up a bit to get the body back on track, but I'm not exactly sure what I should do. So again, I'm open to suggestions.
- Are you watching The Good Place? (You SHOULD be!) I loved last night's season finale. (Although it came way to soon...there NEED to be more episodes in a season! What am I going to do with my Thursday nights at 8:30 now???) I also love that it's another show that my son and I can watch together. AND we can have discussions about it that include ethics! (Thank you Chidi!) Before this show I didn't even know there were Jacksonville Jaguars! Which brings me to...
- Does anyone actually care about the Superbowl this weekend? I saw some statistics on the news this morning that showed people were more interested in the commercials than the actual game. That has always been the case for me. Although I'm not all that hyped up over the commercials either. I suppose the game will be on in our house (there have never been any parties for us), but I'd rather be watching Grace and Frankie (I only have one more episode of Season 4 left to view and I've been trying to hold off...) You want me to get excited about something on tv? Tell me that there will be a season 4 of Twin Peaks. (Are you out there David Lynch? I know it will take years and lots of hard work, but please??? Sunday night had never been as excitedly anticipated as they were from May- September of last year!) If you've been reading my blog for the past 5(!) years, you know I'm more about the Souper Bowl than a football game.
- What am I going to do with Valentine's Day this year since it also falls on Ash Wednesday? (I hate it when holidays collide!) Well other than do a series of posts on Lent (my plan is to do a reflection every Sunday and then one a day during Holy Week), I've got nothing. I know I WILL be missing my chocolate and wine (both of which I give up during Lent) so maybe I'll "celebrate" a day early? To be honest, romance is not a part of my life...there's just too much going on with the family, work, etc. Besides, it's a Wednesday night! How middle of the week is that?
Enough rambling for now...I think it's time for me to obsess over my co-worker's spring break trip to Walt Disney World now. (Seriously, I might be more excited about it than he is! And since a trip to one of my favorite places is not in the cards for a LONG time, I've got to get my "fix" in through friends.) Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend without too much winter weather!