First Sunday in Lent: Who are Your Angels?

The lectionary readings for the first Sunday in Lent are:  Genesis 9:8-17, Psalm 25:1-10, 1 Peter 3:18-22, Mark 1:9-15.


Four days into Lent and the temptations are very tempting.  Temptation is part of Lent for me.  Lead us not into temptation?  I don't need to be led!  (Of course my husband has a different take on the phrase and suggests more punctuation:  Lead us, NOT into temptation, but deliver us from evil.) At the beginning of this "trial" (as it were), I seem to need more support and this passage spoke to me: "And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased." And the Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness.  He was in the wilderness forty days, tempted by Satan; and he was with the wild beasts; and the angels waited on him."

During times of trial, who are your angels?  Do you (or I) even notice them as they wait upon us and lift us up?  As I hit bumps in the road this Lent, I want to recognize the angels in my life.  

Conversely, what can we do during the Lenten season to be an angel to someone else?  What selfless deed (be it as simple as s friendly smile or something more complex) can I perform to uplift someone?

Who is/are your angel(s)?  Those beings (because an angel does not have to be human) that lift you and wait on you during periods of strife?  Conversely, how can you be one to someone in need?  What can you do to uplift someone just as the angels were there for Christ during his time of temptation?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES