The Failing Experiment

Back on April 18th when I started by 50 days to 50 experiment, I had high hopes for myself.  I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but it was something I wanted to do for myself.  I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect that I would lose a few pounds in the process.  I had a goal of 10 pounds in 50 days, but would have been happy with 7.  Reaching either of those touchpoints would NOT put me at the lowest weight I have ever been as an adult (nor would it be the even lower goal weight I had once set for myself when I was officially on the WW plan).  It would however, put me in a comfortable place. (I really didn't like the way I looked when I was at my lowest point.  I thought my head looked a bit too big for my body, even though I still had several pounds to go.)  I have been working hard especially over the past week and a half to get to that goal and am failing miserably.  Disappointing.  Depressing.

With all that said, I am nowhere near the weight I was once at in 2011 before I started the WW plan.  I worked with it and it worked for me.  I did discontinue it after a year and a half due to finances, but have tried on and off in the past several to follow the basics that I learned.  When I truly followed them, the weight I put on came off.  When I didn't...you know what happened.

So when I upped my exercise and diligently started tracking what I was consuming, I *thought* I would see results.  I *did* at one point see the scale go down about 2 pounds.  Elated, I tried to keep up what I was doing.  (As we all know some days are easier than others.)  The scale went up a pound.  I tried harder.  The scale went up again.  It's enough to make the most optimistic person throw in the towel.

My helpful husband pointed out recent health/weight articles to me. (Example: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/opinion/sunday/why-you-cant-lose-weight-on-a-diet.html?_r=0 )

Of course, what is even more frustrating is that I haven't been "dieting" per say, but trying to eat healthier and LIVE healthier.  To that end, I've cut back on the "junk" and am eating more fruits and vegetables (more fruit though than veggie).  I'm walking as I always have and have tried to extend my walking time.  I am not able to walk faster (I've tried), but I can walk further AND do additional exercise when I have the time.  (Not every evening, but as often as I can.)  I have cut out alcohol.  (Ok, I did "cheat" twice.)  But perhaps one of the biggest obstacles that I have yet to overcome (and most likely does contribute to my lack of weight loss) is stress.  That daily mediation plan just wasn't realistic.  Or, more likely, I'm just not committed to it.  Has anyone found that mediation has helped them not just with stress, but with weight loss?  This inquiring mind would like to know.

I still have 3-1/2 weeks to go.  Part of me wants to stop, but another part of me says I started this journey and no matter what the results, I must finish.  So I will.  

(Addendum:  Several of you have previously made some wonderful suggestions to me.  It is appreciated.  Many suggestions were good, but won't work for my lifestyle.  Additionally, I have some very strange food allergies that limit what I can and cannot eat.  This is why I need a plan that doesn't say you must eat "x" or "y" because quite often I can't.  It's also why I can't go on a plan of "prepackaged" meals because they contain things that quite literally could kill me.  My hope is that this experiment would lead to a slimmer and HEALTHIER me.  One without the other is no good.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES