No Fooling: Some Thought The Day After Easter


It didn't feel much like Easter to me this year. (And not just because it was in March, when we all know it should be April.) This was the first year neither of my parents were alive.  (I have strong memories of our Easters past.)  My son was not home either.  (Although from what I understand my son had a marvelous Easter:  he went dressed in top hat and tails to the NYC Easter parade, where plenty of photos were taken [according to him], but none have shown up on any media sites [I think he actually looked too "normal" whereas most of the photos that I have seen are much more flamboyant.].  He attended part of a service at St. Patrick's Cathedral [he left during communion; as we are not Catholic, he was not invited to partake].  And had dinner at the apartment of a friend's grandparents [who I believe are either retired or active Episcopalian ministers] where he discussed religion with them before heading back to campus.  Sounds like quite a day!)

I kept some "traditions."   I watched (all or part of) "Godspell" numerous times, but I never saw "Jesus Christ Superstar".  I bought a chocolate from the same store that my father used to purchase a solid bunny for me.  (I had never been there before.)  I went to church on Easter Sunday (wearing the same dress I wore 2 years ago!) and sang with the choir.  I enjoyed Easter chocolate (one bunny down...) and mango mimosas at brunch with my husband.  I went for a walk in the sunshine.  (I knew I wouldn't see sun and warm temperatures for most of the week.)  I had lamb for dinner.  But I wasn't able to capture the feeling of joy that the good news of Easter brings.

Maybe it's because Christianity, which carries the message of love and giving, seems to be overtaken by the shouts of "false idols" to take.  Which makes me ask, who are we to take?  From whom are we supposed to take and why?  It is so contrary to what I believe that it at times makes me ill.

It also makes me angry.  However, I try to temper that as I am reminded "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."  No, that doesn't come from the Bible.  (If you don't know where it comes from, Google is your friend.)  But the Bible does say:  "Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22: 27-40)

Perhaps if I cannot find joy this year, as I still grieve for what I have lost, I CAN continue to try to love my neighbors.  Sounds easy, but it isn't so, especially early in the morning when a neighbor's pickup truck roars to life waking me from sleep or when I see (what I consider to be) messages of hate on lawn signs and bumper stickers in town.  (I am NOT opposing free speech or trying to censor anyone, but hate speech is another animal altogether.)  If I cannot like (or even understand) the message, how can I love the person?

In all honesty, I don't know if I can.  But what I can do is TRY.  I can remember that behind the lawn sign or the bumper sticker there is a human being.  I can pray for that person.  I can show kindness to that person when we meet, even if it is only a brief hello or a smile.   I can sow seeds of hope.  I can share messages of peace and love. I can bring MY light shine over the darkness.

My light may not overcome the darkness alone, but “let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."  (Matthew 5:16) 

I'm going to do my best to let my light shine, not just during Eastertide, but all the time. And in that I can find joy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES