Eclipse: No Rapture


 On April 8th, much of the United States had the opportunity to view a total (or nearly total depending on where you live) solar eclipse.  There was also talk about the Rapture (the transporting of believers to heaven at the Second Coming of Christ.) taking place, but it seems that that didn't happen. (If you were transported to heaven and have met Christ there, can you send me a text to let me know you've arrived?  I believe the last Rapture was supposed to take place on a day in May (it might have been 2011?), but instead of meeting Jesus, I spent time reading to my son's kindergarten class.  (Which in its own way is rapturous.)  So eclipse; yes, rapture; no.  (Again, if I'm wrong on that, message me and I'll be sure to update this post.)

In my part of the world (northern NJ), it was partly sunny.  Which meant that there were clouds, but they didn't totally cover things.  I was able to look up and see 90% (give or take) of the sun slowly being covered by the moon.  (I did so wearing special eclipse glasses that a neighbor very generously let me have.  Thanks MV...for the party on Saturday night AND the ability to watch the sun disappear on Monday afternoon.)

Even without the perfect view, an eclipse of any kind is a sight to behold.  (Again, wearing special glasses...you DO NOT look directly at the sun...not if you want to see anything else ever again.)  It is truly miraculous that the moon passes in front of the sun at such a distance and such a way that the sun "disappears."  (Again, it doesn't really disappear and the moon is much smaller than the sun...it's all perspective. )  The light dims and the temperature dips.  

I had been outside for most of the afternoon.  I dug some of my patio furniture out of the garage on Sunday afternoon.  I was able to set up my "work station" on the bistro table that I purchased a few years ago at and That! (oh how I miss them!) and two chairs (only one which came with the original set).  I would work and then put on the glasses, go over to the southeast end of the patio and look up to watch the moon slowly cover the light of the sun.  Then it was back to work, letting about 10 minutes pass before I got up again.  And it was in this way that I was able to enjoy the work of the universe.  The light got slightly dimmer.  The colors got slightly duller with a tinge of yellow/gray. Then the sun appeared to be almost covered by the moon (but not quite in my neck of the woods) before it slowly made its way back.  The light getting brighter (sort of...we got more cloud cover as the moon passed back) and the colors coming back to what I am used to.

I took no photos.  I don't have the equipment to do so and let's face it, my photos are not the best any way.  (I wish they were, but...)  I just enjoyed the day.  I enjoyed the miracle.  Because to me it IS a miracle.  And it's a blessing to be able to witness the event from the comfort of my own backyard.  (I wish I could witness more of what the sky has to offer, but there is too much light pollution for me to fully take in all the stars at night.  And that's goes for the house at the beach as well which is ablaze with light from a neighbor who feels that all their outdoor lights must glare 24/7, destroying the natural beauty that many of us crave.)

Wherever you were on April 8th, I hope you were able to enjoy the eclipse, be it total or partial.  If you weren't, I hope the next time an eclipse happens (here in North America the next total solar eclipse that will be visible to most will be in August of 2044)  you will find the time to take it in.  To look up to the skies (using your eclipse glasses) and see the universe at work.

We are part of this world; we are part of this universe.  It has much to offer us.  The least we can offer back is to behold it.  (We should also take care of it, but that's another story.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES