Eerie April

 


Ghosts & ghouls may be part of October's scarefest, but just a few days into this month has made April pretty eerie in my book.  Lots of weird stuff has happened in this week alone and I'll admit that I'm hoping it's all going to end as the week wraps up.  

Some of the out of the norm stuff that has happened to me this week.

  • Rain & wind:  I know April is the month of showers, but this week was off the charts, particularly Tuesday and Wednesday.  Umbrellas were of no use; nor were jacket hoods.  That wind was blowing and protection from the elements was not happening.  Not only did it make getting to the office a challenge, it left me cold and disheveled.  (That's putting it mildly).  The combination of the two also made flooding an issue.  (It's becoming more and more of an issue.)  While the waters did not rise as high as they did in January (https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/01/hanging-on-craving-comfort.html ), the lagoon did rise over the dock and head into the backyard.  Yes, I know that it's something that can happen when you live at the shore, but it's happening more and more often.  In my book it isn't normal.
  • Desecration: I had a lousy night's sleep Wednesday into Thursday.  Much of it had to do with the wind howling, but around 3:50ish, I was awakened by the town horn (warning system.)  If I had been in deep sleep, I would never have heard it but...Now this "old fashioned" system is a way to call out first responders (yes, they also use cell phones, but this is still a very valid and effective method) and when I hear it, while I know there is trouble I am comforted by knowing that whatever that trouble might be, help is on the way.  Turns out that trouble was someone had broken into a church in my town and set several fires inside.  Thankfully due to the quick response of the multiple towns fire departments they were extinguished (relatively) quickly.  However, sources report serious damage.  The fact that this happened the less than 12 hours after multiple houses of worship had gathered together to enjoy an evening meal and discuss their commonalities makes this act seem even more suspicious. (Note:  the alleged perpetrator turned himself in.)
  • Bus Rides:  My trips into the office were quicker than usual.  (I'm NOT complaining about that.)  I'm guessing that it might have something to do with spring break?  On Thursday, from the time I left my house to go to the bus stop (and I always give myself at least 15 minutes even though I don't need that much time to get to the stop) to walking in the office door was less than 50 minutes.  The actual ride from bus stop to bus stop was under 20 minutes!  Pretty unusual (in a good way).  I wish I could say the same on my ride home.  The bus kept getting delayed and delayed.  (I know traffic can be an issue.)  When it finally arrive and I could barely get on.  I actually stood right by the stairs as the bus pulled away, gripping onto the bar by the area where you place your money (or in my case scan your ticket; that is if the scanner is working).  Where did all these people come from?  (Was I glad I was wearing a mask!)  While I was eventually able to sit down, even by the time I got off, it was still pretty crowded (which again is rare).  Door to door in the morning under 50 minutes; door to door in the afternoon:  90+ minutes.
  • Reverse Peristalsis:  (Trying not to put TMI here, but...) Hubby and I went out to get sandwiches for dinner and I got ill.  (I'll let you figure it out.)  He thought there might have been a cross contamination issue (because that's a BIG problem for people with food allergies), but I didn't have a typical allergic reaction.  (Although I did take a dose on Benadryl to be safe.)  Needless to say I didn't have the greatest night last night.  And I still don't feel "right" today.  I'm not sick, but I do have a headache that comes and goes and I'm just feeling "off."
  • Compliance Training:  It's something we have to do every year at work.  Yes, it's a pain, but it needs to be done.  Since Fridays are generally quieter days of the week I decided to undertake it today.  It was the same stuff (and even the same videos) as previous years, but there was one unit assigned to me that had nothing to do with what I do.  While it might make sense for some people in the organization (although I don't know who), it had nothing to do with what I experience (or could experience) on a day to day.  Still I did it and passed the end of unit quiz, so...
  • Earthquake:  Yes, you read that right.  There was an EARTHQUAKE in NJ today.  The epicenter was about 45 miles west of my house, but boy did we feel it.  I was actually on a business call when it happened.  My husband heard/felt it first and got up to try and figure out what was going on.  (I thought perhaps our neighbor was having an 18 wheeler pull into this driveway [which is right by my home off window].)  I had to excuse myself from the call (the person I was speaking with resides in the Midwest) saying something along the lines of "my house is shaking and I don't know why."  It was mostly the windows of the house there were making a racket.  Once it subsided, I quickly wrapped up the call and went online to see what had happened.  It was indeed an earthquake of 4.8 magnitude.  Those things don't happen around here.  (Although I remember quiet clearly an earthquake in 2011 that was centered in Virginia, but was felt here in NJ as well.)  Or at least they don't usually.  I'm on alert for any aftershocks that might occur today or tomorrow.  I never thought I'd be saying that!  (And I hope not to say or think it again for a LONG time.)

I hope this is all the strangeness that April has to throw at is.  I’m ready to move on to sunny skies, warmer weather and the things of spring NOT of Spook-tober!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES