Souper Bowl

Not a typo.  It is the Souper Bowl that I care about.  (Sorry guys I'm not a sports gal...although I do have to admit that the commercials can be pretty cool.)

But the Souper Bowl of Caring is one of my favorite traditions. Gathering cans of soup (or other canned items) and donating every item to your favorite charity.  Now that's super in my book.

It's something my church has been doing for more than a decade and though it has its roots in a Presbyterian Youth Group, it's NOT really about religion.  (Although I am always reminded of the New Testament passage:  "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in")  It's about addressing a need that can be found in every corner of our world.  People are hungry.  Maybe I can't feed the world, but I can make a difference to one person and maybe more.  With just a can of soup?  Yes...with just a can of soup.

The problems of this world can seem overwhelming.  But just one simple gift can make a difference.  It doesn't have to take a lot of time or money.   Because each act builds on one another one.  And so the kindness and caring move ahead.

I know where my talents lie.  I am NOT a great cook.  But I can purchase items to help others make a meal for those who need one.  Maybe I don't buy every item for that meal, but I can make a difference.

My son is not a chef either.  (At least not yet!)  But he helps out at our church's monthly supper program.  He cuts bread.  He washes vegetables.  Maybe he can't do it every month.  But he (and I) do help out when we can.  We CAN make a difference.  We can help make sure that someone does not go hungry.  That someone gets a healthy meal.  

Little steps...they can lead to great things.  


Now THAT is Super!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving