One Final Sermon: What I've Learned

 Deuteronomy 6 4 - 7

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[bYou shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 
Psalm 119: 33- 35; 105 Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes;   and I will keep it to the end.[f34  Give me understanding, that I may keep your law     and observe it with my whole heart. 35 Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Isaiah 40: 28-31: Do you not know?     Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.   9 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

What I've learned....
Today we recognize and celebrate the importance of Christian Education in our church.  Education, whether it be in the church or elsewhere, is ongoing.   It does not stop when one is confirmed or becomes an officer of the church.  No matter what our age, no matter who we are, we always have opportunity to learn more.

My Christian Education began at this church.  As a child, I went to Sunday school, although not regularly, so my memory of what I learned there is hazy.  My memories are stronger and clearer when it comes to summer vacation bible school where one year we made a movie at the brook by the park to illustrate the story of the Good Samaritan.  I don't remember who was lucky enough to be "beat up" and lie in the river while all of us non Samaritans ignored him (or maybe it was a her).  But I've never forgotten the lesson of helping others no matter who they or you are.

I remember another session of vacation bible school where we studied Exodus.   I got to be the voice of God in the burning bush.  Don't worry, the bush wasn't really burning and it was by the parking lot door of the church.  You might say that the church was progressive in letting a "girl" be the voice of God; in all honesty it probably had more to do with the fact that I had a walkie talkie.  Lesson learned:  creative and fun activities draws in kids AND adults.  Learning about the Bible and its stories in unique ways make memories that last a lifetime.

I was confirmed in this church on my birthday.  Confirmation class was a lot different then.  I hope next week's confirmands feel more comfortable in the process next week than my group did.  Having been a sponsor for two confirmands several years back, I know the process has changed and is much more relaxed.  I will never forget my confirmation class which was held at 9 in the morning on Sundays and as far as I can recall nobody in the class stayed afterwards to attend church.  (That should tell you something.)  We met just about every Sunday from September through to June.  We were graded.  Being a band kid at the time, I was penalized (grade wise) for missing classes due to band competitions.  You might think we learned the 10 commandments or the Apostles Creed, but we didn't.  I don't remember what we learned, but I DO remember meeting session the Saturday before confirmation, for me it was an intimidating experience.  The actual day of confirmation, the group sitting in the front pew not knowing what was going to happen and being mortified when the collection plate was passed and none of us had any money.  It wasn't a fun experience, and to me (and I'm assuming to my group) it wasn't an inclusive experience.  But our process has changed and evolved.   Our youth are involved in so many aspects of this church.  While the standard church fare might be choir, the youth of this church are so much more active: they are deacons, ushers, volunteers for a slew of different programs and projects. So hopefully to them, Session isn’t this scary group of adults that they don’t really know, but a caring group of mentors.  I have found that I have learned more from our youth, then they might have ever learned from me.  Christian Education at this church is not just done in a classroom, but all throughout the church.  Lesson Learned:  change is necessary to keep the church alive.  We need to try new things; some may fail (you know I'm thinking about my confirmation) and some may succeed.  But we need to try; otherwise we will be like a stale piece of communion bread that has been sitting out on the table for too long.

 As a teen I don't know if I wasn't asked to participate in church activities or if as a surly teen I chose to ignore them.  I do know that our former choir director continually tried to get me back into the choir.  I never said yes, but she never stopped asking.  Not continually nagging, but when a special event was coming up, she would ask.  All through high school and college I was a no show...both in the choir and in this church.  Again, there may have been programs that I could have/should have been involved in, but I was either too shy or too surly to get involved.  Nonetheless, when I moved back home after college, I did start attending church during the Advent season.  The church was going through a transition, not unlike what we have been going through recently.  There were different pastors different weeks as the church searched for a new minister.  Seeing my face again in the crowd, the choir director once again asked me to sing and this time I said yes.  Lesson learned:  Gentle persistence can pay off.  You may have asked a friend or a member who hasn't come in a long time to church and only gotten a negative answer.  That doesn't mean you should stop trying, now is the perfect time.  We have a wonderful new pastor on the way and summer services are more casual.

Once I was in choir, eventually I was asked by Vince C to serve on the Music and Worship committee.  I wasn't asked right away; I was given time to settle in.  But when Vince asked me in his own personable way (and those of you who remember Vince know exactly what I mean), of course I said yes. Lesson learned:  Don't rush new (or returning) members onto committees.  Give them a chance to feel things out.  A chance to find out what their interests are and where they are most comfortable.

Which brings me to my next point.  Once I was on Music and Worship there was no turning back.  I was asked to help start the layreading program.  This was back in the last century not too long after we acquired a new pastor and as you may know I’m still organizing the layreaders.  I was asked to direct our 100th anniversary play and then approximately 10 years later another play with the kids.  I was served on Session, then Deacons and finally Trustees.  As I believe I've said before, I was a lousy Trustee.  Finances are not my strong point, so I don't know what I was doing serving on that committee.  My talents lie elsewhere.  I was never comfortable in meetings and as a result I think I skipped more than I attended, which is certainly not a good example.  I serve this church much better by being in the choir, helping out in the thrift shop and doing publicity for the outreach committee.  These are where my interests and my talents lie, so this this where I can best serve the church. Lesson Learned:  God blessed us with many and varied talents. As it says in 1 Corinthians 12:  Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone.To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills. “Wherever your talent lies, don't be afraid to use it.  We need everyone's unique talent in this place.  I would have been a flop on the manse committee, but how could we have enhanced the manse without Charlie.  I am no cook, but how could we have Sunday Suppers without Eileen and Bev or coffee hour without Marion?  How could we do ANYTHING without Andy?   Everyone is welcome.  Everyone is needed.  Everyone can work!

Finally, nearly three years I was asked to serve on the Pastoral Nominating Committee.  I'd never said anything to anyone, but I had been hoping that I would be asked.  Warning:  be careful what you wish for.  I never thought it would be three years.  If you ever want a real Christian Education serve on the PNC...although hopefully a new committee won't be needed for a decade or longer.  The tests and trials that this committee went through and now the triumph gives truer meaning to "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  There were plenty of times when we grew tired and weary.  There were times when we stumbled and were blocked by outside forces, and yet, we managed to keep going.  And not unlike the early church we had our trials and came face to face with Matthew 7:15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. ” Even in the 21st century there are ferocious wolves within our denomination.  There are false prophets and disciples as my fellow committee members can attest to as we made our way to the point that we are at now; blessed with a gifted and enthusiastic new pastor who will be standing in this spot starting August 21st.  While it has been a joy and a privilege to be able to fill in as a speaker, knowing that Pastor Lynn will be here before the autumn fills my heart with an even greater joy.  As a committee, finding our way was not easy when we were misled or blocked by what we thought were fellow Disciples of Christ, but who instead were just looking out for themselves. There were people who I am sure hoped we would just give up, but we were dedicated.  As it further says in Psalm 119:102 -112   I do not turn aside from your rules, for you have taught me. 103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore, I hate every false way. 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to keep your righteous rules. 107 I am severely afflicted; give me life, O Lord, according to your word! 108 Accept my freewill offerings of praise, O LORD, and teach me your rules. 109 I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget your law. 110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from your precepts. 111 Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. 112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end.

You may think I am exaggerating here, but I assure you I am not.  Just as I can assure you that my fellow committee members would say the same thing; although perhaps using different words.  So what lessons have I learned from serving on this committee, a group of 6 incredibly dedicated people who I am blessed to call friends?  Besides being educated on Presbyterian hierarchy, rules and doctrine, I can honestly say that I learned true faith from serving on this committee.  When one was down, the rest where there to raise him or her up.  This group of 6 people, diverse as our congregation, are truly amazing.  Just as this congregation is.  By being a part of it, I have learned that faith has no timetable. Never give up hope; let your faith lead you and do not waiver.  Believe in the Good News that is given to  us.  Remember:   God gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  We have waited on the Lord, and our strength has been renewed, as we continue on a strong church and a vital part of our community. 

Everyone here has a story to tell.  Everyone here is a vital part of the programs we offer here.  Let us continue to share our experiences, educational and otherwise, as we continue to grow as a church.

Praise be to God for his word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES