Thank You

A friend recently pointed out to me that the next holiday after Halloween is NOT Thanksgiving, but Veteran's Day.  She is most definitely right, but how many Americans would know that (or even agree)?

Veteran's Day is somewhat of a forgotten holiday.  Government offices are closed, but most businesses are open.  Schools are open (at least in my area).  Other than some commercials announcing the Veteran's Day car sale or department store sale, how do most Americans know about this Holiday?

Do we know that Veteran's Day celebrates ALL men and women who have served in the military?

That originally Veteran's Day was known as Armistice Day, commemorating the end of "The Great War" (now known as World War I)? 

That it was Woodrow Wilson who proclaimed the holiday on November 11, 1919?

That it was Veteran Raymond Weeks who in 1945 came up with the idea that the day should honor not just those who served in World War I, but to celebrate ALL Veterans?  And that the bill changing the name from Armistice Day was signed by President Eisenhower in May of 1954?

That at 11 AM on November 11th at Arlington National Cemetery at wreath will be laid at the tomb of the Unknowns?
That this holiday is also celebrated in other countries around the world?  (Although it may go by different names such as Remembrance Day)?

How many of the above did you know?

I am ashamed to say that I didn't know ALL of them prior to writing this.  And I SHOULD have. My late uncle made a career out of the military, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel before retiring.  (And even in "retirement" continuing on as an instructor in Jr. ROTC.  A wonderful and inspiring man.  Sadly he passed way before his time, but I remember him every day...especially since my son carries on his name.)  But now I do...

So I'd like to say thank you to ALL who serve and have served our country.  And I am going to make a conscious effort, not just tomorrow, but any day to make sure I say thank you to any service man or woman that I happened to meet or pass by.  They've done so much for our country; it's the least I can do...(and so can you.)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES