It Won't Solve The Problem...

But what is wrong with background checks prior to purchasing a gun?

Not to get too political here (because honestly I HATE politics mostly because these days "politics" are too far right or too far left for me), but I just don't get it.  And if anyone out there can tell me in plain, simple terms why we shouldn't have background checks, go for it...

I had to have a background check for more than one job that I have held in my life.  And I'm not a high ranking official at a major corporation.  No big deal.  It didn't make me a better employee.  It didn't make me a worse one.  Most likely it did nothing, yet it was done.  No harm.

And was it a pain in the neck to pee in a cup to make sure I had no drugs in my system?  Well it wasn't the most fun thing I've done in my day, but again, no harm.  And if I WAS using drugs I surely could have worked around the system.  (This wasn't a random check, so I was able to pick the day and time that I wanted).  Surely there are people who take drugs who pass drug screenings.  Does that mean drug screenings are of no value?

And I realize that it may be a pain in the butt for honest, law abiding citizens who want to purchase a firearm (and I know that there are plenty of people who own a gun or guns...and I have no problem with that).  But life is full of things that are a pain in the butt to get what you want.  (Do I need to mention getting or renewing a driver's license?).  Sometimes we just have to deal with the red tape and jumping through hoops to get what we want.  (Just ask me some time about the adoption process...you want to talk about background checks, red tape and hoop jumping, I'll tell your stories that will make your head swim).

So, why what's wrong with a background check before purchasing a gun?  It won't stop criminals.  Ok.  So it won't stop criminals...But MAYBE, just maybe it will stop one.  Imagine if a background check could prevent JUST ONE crime.  Wouldn't it be worth it?

Comments

  1. I'm in favor of background checks. And lest we forget, most illegal guns were once legal and owned by a "responsible" gunowner who didn't take their responsibility seriously. Pass the law. Ooops, we have cowards in Congress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving