I don't care...

if your name is Dzhokhar, Muhammad, Jose, Meng, Liam, Francios, Benito, Anatoli, or John. (Have I covered enough stereotypical names?).  I don't care of you're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Buddhist, or Atheist.  (Again have I covered enough?).  I don't care about the color of your skin, the shape of your eyes, what your sexual orientation is, or what you chose to wear.  (Well, maybe I do care a little bit about that...the butt crack pants have to do).

What I DO care about is life.  (And today I'm focused on human life, but I just to be clear, I do care about all life on our planet).

A bomb does not make you better, stronger, smarter or mightier.  A bomb does not make me see your point of view.  Shooting someone (or multiple people) does not make me want to rise up and join your cause.  As a matter of fact, all these things just make me think you are an ass.

I am willing to listen to other points of view.  And believe it or not, occasionally, I WILL change my mind on something.  (My 7 year old can attest to that).  I'm not afraid to say I'm wrong, when I am.  

I'm also not stupid enough to think that because one person (or group of people) does a stupid thing that all people that might fit into that group are stupid or worthy of my hatred.

And maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that most people feel the same way.  (Ok, maybe I'm just thinking of most of the people I know.  But they are a pretty diverse group.)

The people and leaders I admire are the ones that knew that violence wasn't the answer and tried their best to avoid it.  (Yes I admire Abraham Lincoln and I really don't think that Civil War was something he was happy about).  

I think of Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Jesus Christ.  They got their points across and I don't recall any of them strapping bombs to their bodies and taking about a crowds or shooting masses of people from a rooftop.  Their names have and will travel with us through the ages while others will fade.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving