The Car Returns To The Shore


 Dear Mom,

Thank you for watching over your grandson the other day. (Okay, thank you for watching over him all the time, but especially yesterday.) He did something that I know would make you happy. He did something that made me nervous@ He got into the car, the one that you wanted him to have and that still has your personalized plates, with his girlfriend and drove to the Jersey shore. 

He has said more than once over the summer that he misses the shore. I miss it too, but I can't go back to where we once were. I can't go back that specific barrier island because there are too many memories. There would be too much pain to see your house gone along with other numerous changes that I know have taken place since   July 2024. But your grandson has a friend whose parents have a house at the Jersey shore. Not in the area where we were, but slightly farther north. Not far from where your grandmother, your parents and you used vacation back in the day. (Or maybe it was before you were born…I’m not 100% sure) And that makes sense. That makes the trip all the more poignant. 

I have no idea that he was going to do this. It was his day off and I knew he was hanging out with his girlfriend. I happened to open the tracking app. (Happened…well…yeah, I do check it when he is out more often than I should, but no judgement okay?) I was curious as to what he was doing. He was driving somewhere odd. Not as his normal “hangs.”  I was wondering if he was driving her back to her house some different way, but then when I checked back later he was on the Garden State Parkway heading south. I knew where he was headed and I couldn't believe it. 

He is a good driver. He is a cautious driver. However, he is someone who does not like highway traffic. That is not to say that he has never driven on the highway. He had to in order to get his driver's license, but he's not fond of it. I know it makes him apprehensive and I'm sure that's what kept him away from the Garden State Parkway and other major highways for so long.  He could have a car on campus, but he doesn't want it. He doesn't want to drive on the New Jersey Turnpike and the Staten Island Expressway. I don't blame him. Neither do I. As a matter of fact, I dread driving out there to pick him up or drop him off and then much happier when he takes public transportation. (Plus it’s a lot more economical.)

I guess the call of the ocean, the fact that it is the end of summer and he goes back to college very soon, was too much. He overcame his anxiety and did it. My anxiety however remained.  (It will ALWAYS remain.)

 I waited to text him until I knew he had stopped. (Wawa snack break just a mile or so from his friend’s house) I was curious as if he had used the EZ Pass lane seeing how that car does not have an EZ Pass tag. Why should it? He really only drives around locally and doesn’t need it. I was prepared to be annoyed because if you drive through the EZ Pass Lane in New Jersey I don't have  a tag, they charge you for the toll, and  also impose an administrative fine. Since the car is in my name, guess who would get that invoice? He assured me that he used the toll lanes that were manned by actual human beings. I was proud. And somewhat relieved. 

He, his girlfriend, and his other friend spent the afternoon on the beach and in the ocean. I know he enjoyed it. I know that you watched over him as he did all this. Because this was your thing. The shore might have been my place too, but really it was completely your realm. By going there he was not just fulfilling his own wants, but in some strange way honoring you. 

I was glad that he got to spend his time at the beach. It may have been brief but he got to do that one thing that he has done every summer of his life except for last year.

I will say that I encouraged him to head back home before the sun went down. (And hopefully before the parkway got really crazy.)  He actually listened to me! I tried not to watch too much as he made his way from the shore. (Not following the route that I expected.) However he went, trying to avoid the tolls as much as possible, he did eventually have to get back on the parkway north. He did get off the parkway and onto Route 280 at that crazy junction. (And it is a crazy junction.) He did make it home safely. For that I am thankful, and for that I have to thank you.

I know you were watching over him. I know you kept him safe. I know that you are proud. I know that you are happy that he made this journey in the car that you wanted him to have; your car. With those wonderful personalized license plates that he is actually proud of!  How many young men do you know who would drive around in an old lady car (Buick sedan) with license plates that scream out “this car belongs to an old lady!” But he does. 

So thank you Mom (Thank you God.)  Thank you for keeping him (and us) safe

 I love you. I miss you. So does your grandson. But you know that.

Love,

Me


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday's Special Surprise

Vaccine

(Almost) Fully Furnished: Life at Bfth's Pocono Perfection.