Since We're All Talking About It...
I know its 2026, but it's feeling like 2020 a bit again with all this brouhaha over Dr. Fauci. Useless and time wasting brouhaha, in my opinion.
Do you remember 2020?
March 2020 when it all began. It seems like a long time ago, but it
really wasn't. Remember the chaos and the confusion? We were only going to be
out of school/work and over all this is for a couple weeks. Perhaps we all knew
on some level but that wasn't going to happen? Two weeks to eradicate this
deadly virus that had taken over the entire world? That was going to take a lot
of planning, a lot of work, and a serious medical solution.
Do you remember how terrified
most of us were? How people were dying faster than medical professionals could
keep up with him? The portable freezers which they kept the bodies? People
going into the hospital and not coming out? Medical professionals covered head
to toe and protective gear doing their best to save lives? The hopelessness
they must have felt when patient after patient died. (And we felt too.) The
fear that essential workers must have had, not knowing if they were keeping
themselves and their families safe.
We were all doing our best. We
recognize that. We applauded the medical professionals who were working
non-stop to try and keep this thing under control. Trying to keep the
world safe. We made noise 7:00 at night. Some of us sang. We wanted to show
those with a medical professionals working under horrific circumstance and
doing their best to keep us and our loved ones alive and safe how much we
appreciated it. It was a rough time, but think how much worse it would
have been if there were people working around the clock to try and find a
solution, as well as those who worked within the confines of what we had to
prevent you have another illness and or death.
Remember when shopping for
staples was a scary event? The shelves at supermarket were fairly empty. How we
made do with what we had because that's all we could do? I
remember shopping for other people who were too afraid or unable to go
out. Shopping for some older folks. Shopping for neighbors. Doing it all on my
own because my husband had medical conditions put him more at risk. I didn't
want to put him at risk I didn't want him getting sick. I didn't want anyone
getting sick. I did what I could for those I loved and even for those I didn't
know. That's what we needed to do. We needed to support each other through this
terrible time.
Remember how we couldn't wait
for this thing to go away, but we knew that it was going to take time and it
was scary. It was terrifying.
Remote work. Remote School. We
figured it out as best we could as quickly as we could. We did our best.
We supported one another. Again I say, we supported it each other. Even
when we were not physically there for each other, we connected in ways that we
never had before. We didn't want to be alone. We didn't want to die from this
thing. This thing that wasn't going to go away without the work and brain power
of people who years (decades?) of education and training in disease
control.
Do you remember how amazing it
was one Pfizer and Moderna came up with a vaccine? And J&J came up with
something as well? Who was going to be the first to get this vaccine? Who
was going to be the lucky one?
I remember watching on
television a medical profession who got the first one in our area. With her
tears in her eyes? You were tears in my eyes. Amazingly science had found
something to keep this dreaded disease from killing the thousands upon
thousands.
It was a miracle that a safe
vaccine was created in such a short time. It was a short time, but felt
like ages as we waited and prayed. We were so grateful to all those who works
hard to make it happen. Why aren't we still grateful? Why have we allowed
misinformation to continue to spread? Why don't we remember?
Those of us who got the vaccine
were so grateful. I remember
my husband getting his first shot and sitting in the car waiting for him. He
was so relieved. We were so happy. I had to wait. When
I did finally get my vaccine, it was the J &J. I was scared due
to all my crazy allergies. I sat in the hospital being observed after my
vaccination. And I was fine. I drove us home knowing that we were one step
closer to being safe. I remember my son giving his vaccination. Sitting in the
car at the doctor's office waiting the requisite 15 minutes. I remember taking
my mother get her vaccination down the shore. I remember. Do you remember? Do
you remember the amount of relief you felt?
Years have passed. Covid still
exists. People still die from Covid. Thankfully, the numbers are not what they
once were. Medical professionals are no longer held up as heroes, something
which I don't understand. Those who work with sick, the scared, the dying, always
have my gratitude. It is not an easy role. Why have we stopped showing
these people appreciation? Why have some of us stop trusting those who have the
education and the experience to help us? And how many have regretted on your
deathbeds that they didn't follow their advice?
Why all these years later are
we going after a person who did his best to keep us all safe? The man who
upheld the oath do no harm. Who had seen all sorts of horrible outbreaks and
used his knowledge to best keep us as safe as he could. Why now? Why now when
there is so much else going on in this world that is frightening and
threatening? (I could make a list but it would be way too long?) Why have we
stopped funding to science?
If it weren't for the
preparation that we had back in 2020, this world today would not look like it
does. Certainly more would be dead.
No human being is perfect. But,
I do believe, and I hope you do this too, that those who study, research, and
educate themselves in the fields of science and medicine are the ones we should
get our information from. Not from some random person on social media. (And
that includes me.) Our lives and our health should be taken seriously and as
such we NEED take our medical advice from those who are medically trained.
We need to go back to the time
when we were smarter. We need to remember and heed the advice of medical
professionals who have years and years of training. We need to trust those who
have the proper backgrounds and education. I take my advice from medical
professionals, doctors and nurses who I know who have been accredited. I do not
take advice on how to fix my car or renovate my house from a medical
professional. When my car is broken I take it to an auto mechanic. That is the
person who knows about how to fix cars. I do not ask my auto mechanic what I
should do about the rash on my arm. I don't have the person who fixes my car
cut my hair. I don't have the person who cuts my hair tend to my garden.
It's just common sense. (And yes I realize common sense as long gone the way of
the dodo.) Why would you rather trust some unproven "expert"
social media then actually take the time to do the research ourselves and to
find the appropriate person to help us?
So while some are persecuting
an 80 plus year old man who has decades of experience in infectious diseases
and medical training, let us ask ourselves who and why are these people
questioning him? Again, by no means anyone including the doctor or the people
questioning, are perfect. But we have to make rational decisions and observations.
We need to make common sense a thing again. We need to think and research for
ourselves. We need to trust those who are trained in whatever profession it may
be and not just some talking head.
If you are sick don't come to
me for healing. I am not a medical professional. If you need advice on your
finances, don't come to me. I am not a financial expert. If your car breaks
down, don't come to me because I can fix I am not a mechanic. There is a reason
why people are trained their respective fields. Those are the people you go to
for your respective problems not just people verballing vomiting. Anybody can
say anything they want. That doesn't make the truth and it doesn't make it
helpful.
Remember Covid. Remember the
experiences. Remember the lessons we learned. Remember what we had to do.
Remember! Remember I'll use common sense. Because if we don't...
Comments
Post a Comment