22 Photos

 For 22 years on August 4th, I have pretty much warn the exact same thing.  In the beginning it wasn't really planned or intentional.  But now it is.



On August 4, 2005, my husband took a photo of me holding our new born son.  It's not the best photo in the word, but it's definitely one that I treasure.  For his first birthday I wore the same thing.  And then I just keep doing it; or mostly doing it.  Trying to look the same year after year...sort of.

The shirt is still the same.  It's showing it's wear and tear.  It should because I bought it a year or more before my son was born.  It's not quite as comfortable as it once was.  It's a bit stiff.  But it still fits.  It fit when I was heavier (which would have been 2011); it fit when I was at my thinnest (notice I didn't say thin because I'll never be thin...but that's a whole other story and my thinnest would have been around 20212 or 2013) and it still fits today when I am somewhere in the middle.  (Confession:  I'm leaning more towards the heavier side again...I keep trying and failing.  Some day I will live up to my self promises...or at least I hope I will...again that's another blog post.)

I still have the shorts that I wore that day.  I remember when and where I purchased those.  1997:  nearly 30 years ago!  I bought them in September of that year at Walt Disney World while we were on our first anniversary trip.  If you look closely you can see the Disney logo on the left leg.  I never wore them much and now I rarely wear them at all.  But I still have them.  However, some years, when I have to go into the office, I can't wear them.  So I put on a jean or dark blue skirt to make it sort of look the same.  Not perfect.

The shoes (actually sandals), not visible in the photo are long gone.  They were comfortable, but then a neighbor's dog decided to pee on them.  As you can guess, that wasn't pleasant.  And the sandals they had to go.

The earrings were small gold hoops with a flower pattern on them.  I have lost one and it really bothers me.  I know it must be somewhere in the house.  (It MUST be.)  The years have passed and I still can't find the other one.  They were inexpensive, but I really did love them.  I have taken to wearing a different pair of gold hoops (ones that I got in Walt Disney World...I think you are seeing a pattern here aren't you?).  If you're not looking closely you probably couldn't tell.

The pink Minnie Mouse watch also did not stand the test of time and is gone.

The gold necklace with the E pendent on it still exists.  (The E actually stood for Elsie, my husband's grandmother.  She died in January 2005.  I've never been a fan of Elizabeth, but I'm happy to wear the E in her memory because she was a fantastic lady and I wish she was still around.  I especially wish she had been around to hold her great-grandson, but...)  

On the left hand are still my wedding rings.  I wear three:  bottom one was my maternal grandmother's (which makes me wonder what happened to my maternal grandfather's ring).  Then there's the ring my husband bought me which matches my engagement ring (which I don't wear that often...it's beautiful and I should, but I'm not comfortable wearing it every day.  The diamond in it came from a man's ring that was owned by my great uncle [paternal grandmother's brother] who my mother was very fond of.  I think he was fond of me too...which would explain why he left the ring to me.  I still have the ring sans the diamond...perhaps I should do something with it.)  Finally on "top" is my great grandmother's wedding ring  (maternal side all the way:  my mother's mother's mother...that's a lot of mothers!)

On my right I still wear (on my middle finger) the silver Mickey head ring that I bought in Disney World.  (Don't remember what year but I'm guessing 1999 or 2000.)  It's looser than it once was and so this year I'm "guarding" it with two other rings:  my parent's wedding rings.  I wear a lot of history on my hands.


And so, here is photo #22.

People say I still look the same.  I don't.  But I fake it pretty well.  (Especially when I pull back my hair the way I did on the hot August day in 2005.)

I have a feeling that this is the end of the photo run.  (I hope I'm wrong though.)  It's been a good one.  And it certainly preserves my memories (especially if my brain fails me.)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday's Special Surprise

Vaccine

(Almost) Fully Furnished: Life at Bfth's Pocono Perfection.