PANIC! (Not at the Disco): A Wild Wednesday Morning

My brain often reminds me of things at the most inopportune times.  (Is that the case with everyone?  Let me know.)  Life has also been a little chaotic recently.  (Who am I kidding?  It's always chaotic.  But recently the chaos has ramped up to a 11; if you get that reference let’s, go to Stonehenge.)  So Wednesday morning, as I was walking (in the dark because the sun doesn't rise until after 6 these days and I have to be at the bus stop by 6:30) my brain suddenly says to me:  You got a PSEG bill yesterday and you didn't pay it.  (Or set it up to be paid.)  So when I get back from my walk (and after I did  a quick look for a framed photo that my husband mentioned the other day and I can't find...I know where it used to be and I know where it SHOULD be, but of course it's not there...and see what my brain is doing here?) and once I'm almost dressed and ready for work, I went  online to set up a payment.

Since I'm paying one bill, I start thinking about my Discover bill.  I've been using it quite a lot over the past few months...Back in August I just about hit my card limit.  (Which I paid off in full...because I'm NOT EVER paying interest fees or God forbid, late fees.)  I went in and checked my balance. Once again, it's sky high (and one of my recent purchases has yet to go through.).  So, while I'm thinking of it (before my brain goes off on another track), I decided to schedule a payment.

Now I need to say here that I have more than one checking account .  I have a small one with Bank of America (you KNOW how I feel about them) and a larger one with TD Bank.  Since the amount on my Discover card is pretty hefty, I know that I need to use funds from TD.  So I log in and...

Immediate reaction is:  WTF?!  Followed by PANIC!

 Now, it needs to be said (and should have been said earlier in this post) that the night before, I realized that I was running out of checks.  (Yes, I still use checks...not often, but...)  The last time I had gotten checks was in 2022 when I opened the account.  The bank allowed me to order 40 more (again because I don't use them that often) for free so I did.

 You see where my mind is going, right?  You understand why I am panicking right?  (Even though I am chanting: "Don't panic, don't panic, DON'T PANIC!")  I got out and tried again.  Same message.  I use the app on my phone.  Same message.  

 I TRY to be rational.  Even though it's not yet six in the morning, I call the 800# .  I jump through all the hoops to try and get help.  (They probably weren't that bad, but I'm still trying to keep my panic at bay and doing a miserable job of it.)  I'm finally transferred to customer service, but...All customer service representatives are assisting other customers.  My hold time is estimated to be about 6 minutes.  I hold.  I tried to put on some make up.  I try to comb my hair.  I pack up my lunch and put it in my backpack.  I try not to throw up (and succeed).  I'm holding and holding.  

I have to head out the door to get the bus to the office.  I keep holding as I walked down the street.  And then I realized there was no way I could have a conversation with a CSR on the bus, so I hung out.

 Next thought...

 I called my local branch. (Yes, it was just after 6 in the morning and I knew no one would be there).  I went through the automated message and then left a message for the branch manager.  I wasn't sure if she'd know me by name  (I've met with her several times over the past two years), but I am sure she would remember the bank check that I had her cut last week in order to pay for the house in the Poconos.  (If you missed it:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2024/09/summer-of-change-part-2.html)  So I made sure to leave my name, my number and a request to call me back and confirm that my accounts were okay.  (NOTE:  NO ONE called me back...Disappointed because  I had generally been impressed by this branch.)

 Panic level is getting higher.  But somewhere in the back of my head, I remember my husband saying:  Reddit.  If you are looking for a real-world answer (and not something autogenerated) go to Reddit.  It can't hurt, can it?

 I open Reddit and type in TD Bank and...

 One of the first posts I came across has the same image as I posted above.  There are about half a dozen people who have experienced the same thing.  As the bus approaches, I heave a sigh of relief. It's NOT me.  My accounts have NOT been compromised.  It is okay.

 Someone posted that they checked the app again and it seemed to be working.  I tried once again too and all my accounts were there.  (I confess I checked multiple times while on my way to work because...well, because.)

 All is well.  Panic has abated.  Pumpkin Spice latte was consumed.  All is well...at least for now! (And when I got home from work that night, I paid my Discover bill!)

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Not About Starbucks (or is it)?

As Is

Dear Mom & Dad: Coming to a Close