Not Sharing....

 As I mentioned at the end of my previous blog, on Sunday I came down with a cold.  Nothing earth shattering, just the usual miserableness of a runny nose, sore throat, headache etc.  As a result, I've been working remotely for the past two days.  (Depending on how I feel I may work remotely for the whole week...we'll see how it goes.)

Pre-Covid I wouldn't have done this.  With runny nose and cough I would have trudged into the office, bottle of Day-Quil in hand.  Why?  For at least the past 7 years, I had the ability/technology to work from home or any other place where I had decent internet access.  When I was away on vacation, I would often bring my laptop and check in.  So why did I feel compelled to go into the office and share my germs?  Why did anyone?

I think before we got slammed with the pandemic, we felt the need to be in an office no matter what. I can remember one woman who came in to our office and was really sick.  I went out and bought some Lysol on my lunch break and sprayed it around my cubicle.   She was really coughing (and she sat 3 cubicles behind me) and I definitely didn't want to catch whatever she had.  Yet, when I was sick, I did the exact same thing.

Back then I had a large cubicle and there was a good distance between cubicles.  Today I am in a different office space with "work stations" that are very close to one another.  Sharing germs would be much easier.  I would have to wear a mask all day to keep my coworkers "safe" and the question remains, how do I blow my nose (which I do A LOT) while keeping a mask in place.  I'm pretty sure the answer is you don't.

Prior to getting sick, I have been wearing a mask when I travel on the bus and city light rail.  I've seen an uptick in the number of people using public transportation.  I will say that when I get on the bus, I'm usually the one who is wearing a mask, but by the time I get to my stop, I am not.  While the majority of people on the city light rail are not masked, I have noticed an increase in wearers there too. I keep my mask on when I am in Penn Station, removing it when I get to the less crowded elevated enclosed walkways that lead to my office building.   So far, doing this has kept me healthy.  (So how did I get this cold?  I suspect my son, who was home from college over the extended holiday weekend, was a carrier.)

I suspect that I will stay home from my office this week.  If I do have to go out (I don't plan on it), I will wear a mask.  Because I'm NOT sharing. And if you don't feel well, I'd ask you not to share either!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES