Another Day; Another Death?

 Depressing title for a blog post I know.  But it's true.  Just hours after I posted about my friend Sandy, I got the news that a family friend/neighbor had passed away on Halloween night.

It was not unexpected.  K had been fighting various cancers for many years.  To be honest, I never thought that she would outlive either of my parents as her situation was much more dire than my parents.  But she was a fighter till the end.  

K was a lovely woman, more than just a neighbor.  She adored my son.  (Who doesn't?  Sorry/not sorry, I can't help it.)  My son used to spend several weeks of the summer with my parents at the shore.  (He attended weeklong marine science camps that were wonderful.)  One of those times, his birthday fell in the middle of a camp week.  K made him a beautiful birthday cake that looked like a sandcastle.  It was amazing.  (And I'm still searching for the photos that I have of it).  Even when she had grandchildren of her own, she still dotted on my son.  She was very close to my mother, at least until illness made it impossible for both of them.

2023 has been a rough year.  I used to consider 2012 as my "worst" year with two deaths (husband's grandfather, my brother), job loss, burglary and SuperStorm Sandy.  2020 tried to top it with Covid-19, but I had that in 2nd place for a while.  Then 2022 came along and 2012 moved into 2nd position with 2012 just behind it.  (https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2022/12/2022-annus-horribilis.html).  2023 seems determined to top them all.  (And just writing that freaks me out/scares me because it's NOT over yet.)  It seems like every high point in the year (like my son's graduation, family vacation) was slapped with a low (organizing hospice on the day of graduation, finding out my father died when I woke up on the last day of our vacation).  The stressors that I faced when my mother died seemed to double with the death of my dad.  When I thought things had "calmed," more bad news and challenges would blind side me.  2023 "only" has 59 days left in it (as I write this) and I will be glad to see it go.

With yesterday being All Saint's Day and today being All Soul's Day (neither of which I have observed, but...), I'm going to try to find some quiet time to reflect on those that I have loved and lost over the past 12-24 months.

As November is also a month of giving thanks, I am grateful to all those who have passed for being a part of my life and helping to shape me into the person that I am.  (Even as I hope to continually evolve.)  

In that spirit, I (try to) remain hopeful.  While the world may be full of terror and tragedy, there is still much to rejoice in.  Today, the Beatles will officially release their final song.  (And what a song it is; perfect for what I am feeling today.) Technology has permitted those who have departed (John and George) to be part of this new/old creation.  This gift of music reminds me that those who have left us, aren't really truly gone as they remain in our hearts.   (If you haven't already listened to it, do so. )

Let the memories of the past be a gift, the present be a present and the future full of grace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES