I'm NOT Number 1

 For the first time in a long time, on the 2nd Tuesday in May, I am NOT number one.  

In the past, I would have gotten up early (as I did this morning) and (weather permitting) would have gone out for a walk.  (I didn't this morning.  Those blisters on my feet  are still giving me discomfort so I decided to forgo putting on the sneakers and just did the "indoor routine.")  I would have wrapped up my walk, NOT my house, but at the nearby elementary school (where my mother, my son and myself all went).   Because the second Tuesday in May is election day.  (Yes, really.)

The polls open at 6 and I'm usually there a few minutes before.  (So I can say hello to the ladies who run the process.  After doing this for many years, they know me and I know them.)  They find my name in the book, I sign my name, I get my ballot  (that's where the #1 comes in) and fill it out (we've forgone the machines that we used to have) and cast it in the machine (under the watchful eye of one of the women who makes sure that it has been successfully completed).  Then I walk home and get ready for work.

This year is slightly different.  (As I've complained), I'm in the office three days a week and this is one of those days.  Though the voting process is usually pretty quick, I didn't want to chance it this morning.  If there was an issue (and there have been in the past, although they are usually quickly rectified), I didn't want to have to wait around (or come back later in the day) and stress myself out.  I needed to catch a bus to Newark Penn Station this morning.  That stresses me out enough; I don't need to add to it.  So as I write this, I have yet to vote.  But I WILL vote.

When I get off the bus this evening, instead of walking home, I'll go to the elementary school.  I don't know if my ladies will still be there.  (How long is a shift for a poll worker.)  Instead of being #1 I will be 1001.  Or so I hope.  I live in a small town (less than 4 square miles with a population of approximately 14,500.  I'd like to get a high number and have the knowledge that my neighbors have cast their vote as well.

I doubt that will be the case though.  It's a local election.  There are two slots on the town council and three people running for those slots.  Sadly, I think many people will skip voting this year and that's wrong.

This is a local election and because it's local, it REALLY affects me.  The two people I vote for will shape the town's policy.  They have more impact on my day-to-day life than the President or member of Congress.  (I am NOT saying those aren't important; They ARE!)  They are the ones involved in the development of the town.  And when it comes to MY backyard, I want to cast my vote for knowledgeable and competent people.  People who do not necessarily agree with me all the time, but who I feel have the best interests for the future of my town.  (Although it would be nice if they agreed with me all the time...what can I say?)  I want council members who are trustworthy and dedicated.  And as I've said before (because I've written plenty about elections before), I've done my homework.  I’ve read each candidate's literature and listened to their answers on public forums.  I've watched how they've conducted themselves.  (Sadly, for some reason, this time the local election has gotten rather nasty, which I can't understand.  We are a SMALL town... no one is going from town council to state senator.)  ALL of these things have influenced my decision of who I will cast my vote for.  And I hope everyone who will vote today (or has already sent in their ballot) has done their research as well.  (Is that too much to hope for?) 

Tomorrow morning I will know if my votes went to the winning candidates.  I certainly hope they do.  (Well at least one of them will!)  No matter what the outcome, I will always vote. My thoughts and opinions matter. My vote and my voice; I want them to be heard.  It is my responsibility to vote and it's one I take very seriously.  No matter who you are and when your elections are, I hope you will too.

Update:  I was only the 150th person at my polling location when I went to vote around 5:30 this evening.  And I got my sticker:  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES