A Lovely Day for an Evacuation

 


Just the other day I was talking about how much I loved graduations because it gave me an excuse NOT to have to go to the office.  (In case you missed it:  https://bfthsboringblog.blogspot.com/2023/05/hurrah-for-graduations.html).  But today is Wednesday, my designated day, and there is only one graduation scheduled for the day, so I figured I should go in.

It was your average day.  (Or as average as it could be.)  I caught the early bus (or at least MY early bus...there are express buses that leave much earlier) and chatted with some of the "regulars."  (The bus driver even waited as one woman asked her to; she had forgotten something and her husband was running it to her.  No one complained.  This is one of the reasons I like to take the express bus.  Although we don't know each other, we "know" each other.  Does that make sense?)  It was an average drive and I was in my office by 7:40.  

Though it was quiet when got in, by ten in the morning it sounded like party central.  Yes, obviously more and more people are coming in.  Who they are, I don't know.  But I have helped people find the restroom and the kitchenette.  Thankfully, things calmed/quieted down so that I could hear myself think.

I was finishing my lunch (at my desk) after a 12:30 meeting when there was a loud beeping over the PA system.  (Which I didn't even realize existed, but I guess all office buildings have them.  I just never thought about it.)  Then there was an announcement that they were having an evacuation drill and everyone needed to leave the building.  I grabbed my phone, locked my computer (because I'm office compliant) and made sure I had my ID badge and followed a bunch of people down the hall.  Clearly, no one knew exactly what they should be doing. But we all went through one of the exit doors.  (I think we passed more than one, but...)  There were people from the floors above us (boy am I glad I am only on the 4th floor) who were slowly going down and we joined the throng.  We made our way down to the lobby area, where there was an obvious presence of security, and were directed to go down more stairs to the outside.  (The escalator was not an option.)  My new Vivaia shoes are definitely getting a workout!

Once we were outside, we couldn't just stop.  We were directed to go down the block and across the street.  There were a lot of people (although I'm sure the building could and has hosted more).  One of the companies was actually taking attendance.  I don't think anyone in my company even knew who was working there that day.  (Again, I barely know anyone on my floor, let alone the rest of the people who work on the "cool" floor which is one flight below me.)

The upside of the drill?  It was a beautiful day outside.  (Who wants to do a drill in the cold and the rain?)  There were plenty of police and security staff; so they seem to take this seriously.  (Definitely a plus.)  Finally, I got to see a co-worker who I haven't seen in 4 or more years.  She has always worked out of our NYC office and pre-pandemic I would only see her at sales meetings.  To be honest, I didn't even spot her.  Someone who works in the row ahead of me was speaking to my boss and pointed her out.  So I made sure I make my way over (interrupting her conversation with some man...people upper management...I have no clue) to say hello.  She's a great person and told me that she tries to come to this office weekly on Wednesdays, so maybe there IS a reason to come in?

I'd say about 20 - 30 minutes after we heard the evacuation drill, we were told we could go back inside.  Instead of following the hoards, my boss's boss's boss pointed out that it might be faster to go in through one of the parking garages.  Trusting, that he knew what he was talking about, I, along with my boss and several others followed as we walked up a couple of flights of stairs and arrived on the complex concourse.  

Turns out I didn't need my ID because I didn't go through the official turnstiles to get to the elevator, instead I followed more people who took one of the stairways and climbed two more flights back to my office floor,  

Thus the adventure was over and just in time for one of my weekly conference calls.  (Which, I will confess, I almost forgot about.)  Or is it?  I still have to catch a bus home.  Will the early express come?  (It didn't last Wednesday.)  What might I encounter on my walk home?  (Last week, the bus had to be diverted off the main street due to an accident, just a block or so from where I would normally get off.  It was so slow going, that I asked to be let off on a side street, which the bus driver graciously did and made better time than the bus did.)  There's plenty of opportunity for more adventures; and if not today...there's always next week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES