"Fun" Mother's Day Weekend


My Monday morning usually starts off with someone asking me how my weekend went. To be honest I don't want to tell the truth because this weekend was really pretty crappy. And no one wants to hear that. However it IS the truth. (Or the truth as I see it.)  So let me share my fun weekend with you

 My weekend “fun” started off early on Thursday when I got a notification from my Discover card about a charge that looked suspicious. It looked suspicious because it WAS suspicious. It definitely wasn't me.  That meant freezing the card and getting a new one. A good thing is that Discover is really on top of things. They would FedEx a new card the very next day at no charge. Sounds good to me.

 Sure enough, by late in the afternoon on Friday my new card showed up. Now I to go through all of the businesses that were set up to charge my old card and make sure that I had the new card on their records. I’m sure I’ve forgotten a few. You know I'm going to find out in a week or so what I missed. However, I did my best. It was a pain in the you know what, however it could have been a lot worse! Looking on the bright side,  I am grateful to Discover for handling this so quickly. That's probably why I've been a member since 19... I'm not going to say the year because it's going to make me look even older than I am. Let me just say that I was one of the first people to get a Discover card and leave it at that.

 Moving on to the actual weekend; Saturday my in-laws came out for a visit. We haven't seen them in a while because I spend every weekend driving down to see my dad. We treated them to lunch at our house. (Hey, it’s a chance to use the dining room for actual dining,) My mother-in-law also ordered some bedding for my son’s dorm room. My son doesn't think he needs a lot f0r college. How little he knows!

 All in all it was a very nice day. We enjoyed spending time with my in-laws and my son enjoyed spending time with his girlfriend after they left. All was well with the world. Or was it?

 At about 10:00 that night (I had already showered and was in bed, as was my husband) when my son was coming in he said but he heard a strange noise coming from the basement. Neither my husband nor I had heard anything because a neighbor on our block was having a party and there was a lot of loud music. However my son had been in the kitchen and couldn't figure out what was making this beeping noise. What was the beeping noise? It was our leak frog. What is a leak frog? It's a device that probably saved our basement. Shaped like a frog it detects when there is water coming into your basement. And there WAS water in our basement. It was flowing out of our hot water heater.

 So much for bed!  My husband immediately turned off the water to the house.  Then he went to find the shut off for the water heater.  (That was thankfully clearly tagged.  At the end of the last century I had worked for a plumbing, heating & air contractor and it was their practice to tag valves.  I've never been so grateful that they did.)  Then it was time to put the wet/dry vac to use.  (It's a cruddy little thing, but it pulls through in situations like this.)  As my husband and son worked to get the water up (it's amazing how water can travel so far and so fast), I called the plumber.  (Not the one I worked for almost 20 years ago.)  They had a service and I someone texted me back that they would be able to come by on Monday morning.  Not ideal, but it was late Saturday night.

 I ended up pulling my husband away from the wet/dry vac (leaving my son to handle it) and had him call the technician who had texted me.  He took pictures of the current water heater (which had been installed by the technician's company in April of 2006) and we were promised that someone would be out first thing on Monday.  (Fingers crossed.)

 My husband was able to turn the water back on (since he had shut off the water heater) so we DO have water in the house. It is COLD water and because of the way our shower system is set up (too long and complicated for me), the shower/tub is the one place we DON'T get water.  So my son got to take a sponge bath last night and I washed my hair in the kitchen sink this morning.  (Trust me the water was COLD this morning.)  We'll just have to make due and hope that we will be able to have a new hot water heater installed tomorrow.  (I don't even what to think of the price.)

 Today, to "celebrate" Mother's Day (and because there was nothing else we could do today, but keep the back door open to try and air out the basement), I drove down to see my dad (as I do every weekend).  He is still in a rehab facility. (How long does Medicare allow for that?  Again, back in the last century, I KNEW these things.)  I did my usual visit and then headed to the house to pay his caregiver and check on any outstanding bills.  His caregiver headed over to the facility, while I did some weeding in the yard.  (I'm trying to get the company that did a fall clean up to come by and do some work, but my last message went unanswered and I couldn't leave another since the voice mailbox was full.)  Then it was back to the facility to see dad again.  Then I headed home, where I am now typing this all up.  (I am pleased to say that there were no accidents/problems on the GSP today, although traffic was heavier than usual.)

So, how was my weekend?  Aren't you sorry you asked?  In a nutshell, not great.  But not awful either.  I did get a little time to myself outside in the sun with a good book, that's always a plus.  And if I am able to take a hot/warm shower tomorrow, I will be a happy camper.  (Fingers crossed.)

 Now, how was your weekend?


Comments

  1. You all deserve medals, a big lottery win, and a long vacation

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES