Throwing a Monkey Wrench Into...


 ...the college search process.

The college search and application process isn't an easy one.  I never thought it was.  I knew it would be stressful for us all and that the stress wouldn't end even after my son was accepted into the school(s) of his choice.  (Waiting for news is killing me, that's another story.)  My son had filled out applications to his top three schools, with two more to consider applying to.  We were on a good path.

Then there was the monkey wrench.

It came in the form of a message from a good friend of mine from college.  (Is there some kind of irony there?)  She sent it last night, but I didn't see it until I woke up this morning.  It read: "I seem to remember Cazenovia being one of the colleges J was looking at. Just saw this on the news if you haven’t seen it yet: https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/cazenovia-college-to-permanently-close-after-spring-semester/amp/" You can click the link (I know I immediately did), but the URL says it all.  Cazenovia College, one of his top three picks is closing.

I'm really upset.  I know my upset is NOTHING compared to what the students and staff must be going through.  With that said, my family was really charmed by the town and the campus.  It felt like home.  Of course we visited on a picture perfect day in the autumn.  The school hit all the right notes for us and the admissions staff was gracious.  We enjoyed walking the town and I was disappointed that we had been unable to stay at the Brae Loch Inn when we visited the area.  (At the height of autumn, it seemed like most of establishments were booked, which lead us to the Hampton Inn between Syracuse and Cazenovia.)  We took in the town and loved it.  

Now all of that is off the table.

We had gotten a cryptic email last week that SEEMED to indicate that our son had been accepted, but then my son received a different email which indicated that they were reviewing his application.  He emailed the school expressing his confusion, but had not heard back.  I guess we know why now.

I feel for the students and staff.  I feel for the town.  For all of them this is more than just a monkey wrench; this is a devastating blow to their lives.  I can't imagine how difficult this must be.  (And to be honest, I'm glad I don't know.) It may sound trite, but I do pray for them all...that they find strength and a new path forward.

My son will not go to Cazenovia College, but the school and its town will always hold a place in my heart.

(Side note:  I am grateful to my friend, MA, who passed this news on to me.  It wasn't news I wanted to hear, but it was news that I NEEDED to know.  We've been friends for over 30 years and she always looks out for me.  Thank you MA.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Moving