(K)needy

 

What I WANT to be doing; not what I am

I am not athletic.  I played no sports in high school (Unless you count marching band and you SHOULD because it could be pretty intense.)  I was/am bad a pretty every sport.  I could kind of play tennis (I still can't serve) and when we did aerobics I got into it.  But for everything else I was hopeless.

I was always a walker, but I didn't become a serious walker until 2011. During the warm months I try to put in 3-5 miles (or more) a day.  During the colder/darker months, I do walk aerobics inside.  Or a use a portable exercise bike pedals.

I have never in my 50+ years had a real sports injury.  There was one time almost 10 years ago when I was in a hurry and tried to run home and ended up pulling something that put me in pain and had me going to the doctor, but that was it.  Not to jinx it, but I haven't had a (confirmed) broken bone.  (I may have broken my little toe on my right foot in college, but I never saw a medical professional.)  I've never worn a brace or had to ice anything.

That has changed and I'm a total wussy mess (over nothing).

It may have started last week.  I noticed that my left leg/knee felt a little weak after exercising.  I did limp a little bit after exercising two days last week, but it went away.  And to be honest, I didn't do the walk/aerobics bit that much last week.  (Maybe the last day was Thursday.) On Saturday I was on my feet a lot (working in my local thrift shop, walking around the civic center in the rain for the holiday fair) and on Sunday I did some walking as well, but all seemed good.  Monday morning, I got up and did about 40 minutes of walk aerobics and my left leg/knee didn't feel right and started hurting.  And thus began the fun.

I have no idea exactly what's wrong, but on Monday I R(ested) I(ced) C (ompressed) E(levated).  Putting weight on my left leg was a killer.  I used a cane.  I pretty much had to stay sitting in front of a computer all day with my leg on a pillow on top of a small garbage can.  I dreaded having to go to the bathroom.  (Which isn't very far away).  I confess, when I had to go downstairs, I considered sitting on my behind and sliding down as well as crawling back up.  I really couldn't do much of anything and it drove me CRAZY.

I may not be athletic, but I am active.  When I work from home I am up and down all the time.  I can't just sit there.  I move around.  And not doing that drove me nuts.  Trying to do anything hurt like a...well you can figure out the rest.

Today (Tuesday) it seems a little better, which tells me I'm going the right thing and need to continue to do so.  But I'm NOT a patient person.  (I'm also good a good patient according to my husband.)  I have things I want/need to do and I can't do them.  And I have no idea how long this is going to last...which is probably what bugs me the most. I'm a planner.  I'm an organizer.  I'm a doer.  I'm up and down the stairs in the house all the time.  This is NOT working for me.  I want this fixed NOW.  (Yes, I know that's not going to happen.)

So as I sit here miserable, if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.  I'm willing to try just about anything to get me up and about, so have at it!


Comments

  1. You also need to have good shoes for walking. I see an orthopedist for my hip arthritis. He recommended Fleet Feet in Montclair. I had been wearing my daughter's hand me down sneakers for years. That was a big mistake. I love my new sneakers. Walking and running on pavement is too much pounding on joints. I ride my Yosuda stationary bike for 7 miles 5 days a week. As a teacher, I had to stand all day. I did this for over 3 decades. I wore Dansko clogs. They were also worth every penny. It sounds like you know what you are doing and what works for you. My hip feels a lot better, and my orthopedist is impressed too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES