Respect and Response

 


If you've been reading my blog regularly (and I hope you have, you know that I have a teen who is currently a junior and I (we) are trying to work with him and prepare him for college.  (I'm not sure if I'M prepared!)  One of the challenges I've had with him (and this is ongoing) is with planning and forward thinking.  You need to prepare.

It's not just my son who needs to learn this lesson, as I found out when I saw an email from the drama teacher.  It was to a whole group and in part said:   I have to say that I'm disappointed no cast is going to perform at the Arts festival, and that I'm finding that out today. It would have been better to let me know in advance that no one wanted to do it instead of refusing to reply to my requests to sign up. Maybe we could have scheduled a scene from the falls production, or a song from the musical, but as it is, I'm finding out today that no one wants to do it, and now we have nothing to do for the slot that we reserved. 

I've paraphrased what he wrote, but his disappointment was clear...and understandably so.  The students didn't respond; their apathy showed a lack of respect.  That's not good in a school situation; it could be disastrous in a work arena.

This email really hit home for me.  This is something I want to install in my son. (It's something I've been TRYING to instill in him; guess it's not working so well.)   It is my opinion (so I could be wrong) that when he fails it will not be because of what he did, but what he DIDN'T do.  The world requires us to be responsible if we want to succeed.  Whether it be an email, text or voicemail, a response is needed.  Lack of one screams a lack of respect.  (Even if that was not the person's intention.) 

It's the little things that we CAN and SHOULD do that can make all the difference in the world.  While spending hours studying for a test is good; turning in homework on a regular basis is better.  Asking questions and giving answers is key.   We need to respond in order to be responsible and show respect. Action is what can move us forward; inaction only holds us back.


Comments

  1. Well dear friend, your son, a junior in high school, did far better in this arena this evening than a committee of grown ups. I’m talking about a monthly church committee meeting that occurs every month on the first Sunday of the month and is published in the church calendar/newsletter. Your son showed up — no one else did — no calls, no emails, no nothing from anyone. Kudos to you. You are doing something right and so is your son!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES