June 2nd

 It's June 2, 2022.  For me there are a few things that stand out on this day.

Number 1:  Today my mom will see a neurologist.   When she was released from the hospital nearly 2 weeks ago with a diagnosis of dementia, a neurologist was recommended.  We all knew a neurologist was necessary.  The physician that they recommended could not see her until July.  Two months after she would have been diagnosed.  I know that physicians are overextended and overworked, but two months is too long, especially when it comes to neurology.  Thankfully, my father did some on line work and found a physician in the area (sort of) that is able to see her today.  (The appointment was made approximately two weeks ago).  I have no idea if this man is "good" or "bad."  I've looked at reviews on line (don't we all) and they are relatively positive.  What's important is that he is able to see her and evaluate her.  I don't expect a miracle (although we always hope and pray for one).  What I do expect is guidance on how to handle this situation and some medication that might improve her situation somewhat.  (Note I did not say cure.)  Guidance and assistance is what is needed and I hope that this physician will be able to provide some.  However, I will not physically be there, although I hope that I will be able to "attend" the appointment via phone call (so that I can learn and provide information if needed).  Why I will not be physically present is because...

Number 2:  Today is Junior/Senior prom.  It's definitely a rite of passage for my son.  (Although neither my husband nor I attended our own proms.)  It's the first "major" (paid) (off site) school event that he will attend.  I have to wonder if it weren't for Covid-19, would he have gone before.  He did "date" a junior when he was a freshman, so it could have been a possibility.  However, we'll never know.  What I DO know is that this evening, he and a group of friends (NOT his girlfriend) will be gathering at one of the homes (not mine) to meet up (and for lots of photos to be taken) before taking a limousine to the venue.  It's a half day at school (why?) so he will have plenty of time to prep.  (I know you're thinking the girls need the most time; you don't know my son!)  I'll have plenty of time to take photos of the whole group (I believe there are 8 in total, but my son is evasive and/or unknowledgeable about who all will be in the group although there will be at least 2 sophomores.)  Meanwhile, his girlfriend is going with some of her friends.  (If it's who I think it is, they are also friends with my son, so why they aren't all going together...does it have to make sense?)  Least you think that prom is now only about groups, it's not.  My neighbor's teen was asked to prom by her girlfriend (there was a whole prom-posal thing!) and they are going as a couple, so...who knows?  All I know is that this is a big deal.  AND that there is school the next day.  Stay tuned to see if I am able to get my son there after a night out.  (I'd be a lot more flexible if some of his grades were a little higher.)

Number 3:  This day isn't completely positive (although I wish it could be.)  Today marks the 10th anniversary of my brother's death.  There may be many things that I have (and will) forget over the years; that day will not be one of them.  Memories of my brother may fade, but that warm (but not overly hot) Saturday never will.  I can recall what I did that day up to the time that the phone call came in.  How my in laws were over and we went out to lunch (my son's favorite Olive Garden).  That we went to JC Penney's and I bought a skirt to wear for a confirmation the next day (which I didn't go to; and instead wore the skirt, which I still have, to his funeral instead).  That the call came after they had left.  That I called our minister who came over after he'd finished a wedding.  That my parents had to drive all the way up on the parkway on a Saturday afternoon when traffic was the worst.  I can name all the neighbors who came by.  That my son, who was just in first grade, held the door open for all the people who came in.  All these things remain as clear as day.  Why I don't know, but they do.  (Along with most of the week that followed...silly and stupid details that are certainly not worth remembering, but stay embedded.)  



This year June 2nd should bring me some good memories.  And I certainly need that; not just this year, but every June 2nd.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES