Last Month of the (School) Year


We're in the home stretch for the school year.  Before the month is over, my son will wrap up his junior year and I will have a high school senior!  Where did the time go?  Where is the time going?

The last few weeks of the school year (even before we hit the last month) have become incredibly busy.  Have they always been this way?  Maybe I've just missed it because we haven't had a "real" school year since 2019.  There are many firsts that probably would not/should not have been firsts if his freshman and sophomore years had been what I expected.  But nothing has been what we've expected.  Nothing.

So here's what he's (we've?) got on the table before summer officially begins:

  • Creative Art Festival:  Does my son have any art for display?  He's not sure.  Will he be singing anything?  He doesn't think so.  Will he be presenting his one act play again?  (Which he co-directed and presented two weeks ago during a short evening of one act.)  Maybe.  Have to love how definitive everything is.
  • Junior/Senior Prom:  It's on a week night.  He's going.  He's NOT going with his girlfriend.  (I think she's his girlfriend).  He's going with friends.  She's going with friends.  (I think.) Do I make him go to school the next day?  It's up in the air now (stay tuned for more as it unfolds.)  It drives me crazy that the school had the Friday before Memorial Day off AND the day AFTER Memorial Day off which makes the short week even shorted and then there's a prom thrown in there.
  • Music Banquet:  He wasn't going to go.  It IS more of a band banquet (which is what it once was called), but is now "inclusive" (I use the word extremely loosely) to include vocal music as well.  I asked him and he said no.  The choir teacher (I believe) tried to encourage her students to go (most of them are in band too).  It's not expensive.  The day before reservations and money was due I asked if he wanted to go.  He wanted to go.  So he's going.  I just have to figure out how to get him there.
  • International Thespian Society and Tri M Inductions:  After participating in every show since his freshman year (not easy: this included a recorded on-line one act play and a radio play in lieu of a fall drama) he is finally being inducted into the ITS.  (I think he would have gotten in sooner if it weren't for Covid and the limitations of how many and who would be able to be inducted.)  As for Tri M; he's been singing in a choir since middle school (I'm not counting elementary school where it was pretty much a requirement).  He hasn't missed any classes (which for the past two years have been "period 0;" meaning they rehearse BEFORE school at 7:20 even when that rehearsal meant being in on a zoom class due to Covid) except for the 2 days he was out sick (thank you Covid) and the day he was taking his AP exam.  He's never missed a performance (even those that were optional) He meets the music grade requirement and he's done some service work.  However, I pretty sure he's not being inducted. 
  • Graduation:  No he's NOT graduating, but he has to be at the ceremony to sing

You can also add into the checklist above two weeks (starting yesterday) of fundraising for the drama program.  To be honest, it's something that the parents mostly do, but I'm trying to get more students involved (because shouldn't they).  So every evening through the second week of the month, we'll be "flamingo flocking" (Google it.)  I'm "forcing" my son to help me out this year (since I'm the one who runs the fundraiser) so he'll also have that going on.

Then school is over and there will be "nothing" for several weeks.  Well, maybe not nothing.  We ARE looking at a college at the end of June and need to find time to visit some more.  But that will have to wait until after his 6 week summer job wraps up.  And we'll have to find some time for some refresher classes in driver's Ed because his behind the wheel test will be coming up sooner than I think.  (I'm scared he won't pass; I'm terrified he will!)  Before we know it a new school year will be upon us.  The LAST school year!  I'm not ready to talk about that yet!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES