Mom Prom

 


Lately I've been going through difficulties and I've been writing about it (because it helps ME to write), but I don't want to be a constant Debbie Downer (or should that be Blue Bfth?).  As stressful as things have been, there are still bright spots.  One of those spots happened just over a week ago when my son, who is a junior, went to the prom.

Full disclosure, I never went to the prom.  (Insert sounds of sympathy here).  I didn't have a boyfriend in high school (more sympathetic sighs) and "back in the day" you went to the prom with a date.  While I had male friends, none of them asked me to the prom and I certainly wasn't comfortable asking them!  So I had no prom experience.

Several months ago my son told me he intended to go to the Junior/Senior prom.  I assumed (and you know what that makes me) that he would ask his girlfriend.  I am not out of touch so much, that I don't know that "prom-posals" are a thing.  (Indeed a neighbor's daughter was "prom posed" to.)  However, my son said he was going with a group of his friends.  That was fine, but what about the girlfriend?  Were they no longer a couple?  No, they are still a couple, but she was going with HER friends.  I still had a hard time with this since "her" friends and "his" friends tend to overlap, but apparently not this time.  Okay, so he's going to the prom with some friends...some I knew and some I did not.  To be honest, HE didn't seem to know who would be part of the group.

Going with part of a group was definitely good for me financially.  I only had to pay for his ticket (which was not too expensive) and make sure that he turned the check and permission forms in on the appropriate date.  (Yes there were limited number of days that you could do this.)  Since my son is a fashion plate, no tux rental was needed.  This teen owns more than one!  He also has dinner jackets, numerous ties (regular and bow) and dress shoes.  No corsage purchase and my son bought flowers (for himself) out of which he made his own boutonniere.  The only other major cost was the limousine.  Thankfully, one of female friends was on top of it.  Or, her mother was.  She arranged for a stretch limo that would take ten of them to the venue and bring them home afterwards.  This was a little more than I expected, but TOTALLY worth it because it was a great experience for the kids AND their parents.  (More on that coming up.)

The prom was held on a Thursday night.  Who has a prom on a weeknight?  Well, it must be cheaper that way, but as a result my son didn't want to go to school the next day and I eventually gave in seeing how his early morning choir class was cancelled and his afternoon classes included gym and study hall. He DID have to go the actual day (it's a requirement), but it was only half day.  (Why?)  So he was home with plenty of time to get ready.  (And trust me he NEEDED time to get ready!)

The plan was for all the prom goers to meet at the house of one of the girls at 4:30.  The limo would show up at 5:30 and take them to the prom which (I just found out that day) started at 6:30 and went to 10:30.  Wouldn't you know it, just around 4:20 or so it started to pour.  So we held off leaving the house until it stopped (or at least was just drizzling) around 4:40.

My son was appalled that his parents would walk in with him, but I had paid for everything AND I'd never had a prom experience so I was going to get it now!  I was not the only parent to do so.  There were plenty of parents inside along with pre-prom refreshments.  (I did not know this was a thing...now I do.)  There was photo taking inside.  There was photo taking outside.  There were photos of the 9 attendees.  (There were supposed to be 10, but one girl had to drop out due to Covid...thanks Covid.)  There were photos with parents.  (Not these parents though.)  There were all girl photos.  There were all guy photos.  (Although there was only one other guy.)  There were 6 juniors and 3 sophomores. There were photos in all sorts of combinations.  I took over 50 photos.  (Not kidding)

Then the limo came.  The driver, Kevin, was great.  He pulled up so we could take the best possible photos.  There were photos outside the limo.  There were photos inside the limo.  And, of course, there was a video when the limo finally pulled away.

My husband and I headed home, but getting to our driveway was a challenge.  Why?  Because our neighbor's daughter was also going to the prom.  In addition to the limo there was also a refreshment truck that provided beverages (adult as well as child approved) and baked treats.  We, along with several neighbors, had been invited up to see their daughter, her date and the other couples they were going with off.  So there were more photos and fun.  

After everyone was off, we were invited inside for more drinks and food (sandwiches and finger foods).  I wasn't going to turn that down!  I didn't have to make dinner.  I could relax (something I rarely seem to be able to do) for an hour or so.  

My son had originally said that his group might go out AFTER the prom.  That didn't happen as they were really tired.  I got a brief recap of the evening (the food was not good and the DJ was only so so).  I also think that the limo experience was probably more exciting than the prom!  Also probably just as fun as the prom (and definitely less expensive) was "the gang" going out to lunch the next day at the local diner.

I'm just glad that he and his friends finally got to experience a somewhat normal social "ritual" of high school.  I'm even gladder that I got to see and be a part of it.  June 2, 2022 will forever be my Mom Prom.  Fingers crossed that there will be another one for his senior year in 2023 and now that I know the "social rules," drinks at my house parents! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES