After St. Patrick's Day: March 18, 2022


 St. Patrick's Day has come and gone and thankfully this year parades and gatherings were able to semi-normal.  The weather challenged some early parades and there is a new variant of Covid (BA.2) which precluded a "perfect" holiday.  (Is there really such a thing?) In my household, we "celebrated" with a traditional dinner.  The St. Patrick's Day music channel from Sirius XM was playing in my kitchen as we downed corned beef...on rye with Swiss cheese and mustard.  So maybe it was an Irish meal with a Jewish slant?  Does it matter?  It was delicious.  Irish soda bread was also consumed.  (A portion of which is still hidden away in the pantry.)

I did NOT partake in any Irish whiskey.  I'm standing firm in my Lenten vow of no alcohol or chocolate.  (Although I MAY give myself dispensation in 2 weeks when we had out to The Fest For Beatles Fans .  It's been two years since we've been able to gather with our friends and I am planning on celebrating with them on Sunday morning with a potluck brunch that usually includes a toast with mimosas.  Honestly, I don't know if I CAN make it through the insanity of the weekend without a stiff drink or two.  Yes, it's fun, but it's also incredibly hard work for those behind the scenes and in all honesty there's a LOT of crazy!  I mean really CRAZY.)  I do need to work more on my reflection/thoughtfulness when it comes to Lent.  I may have given up, but (as I frequently do) I have found "substitutions" to make up for it.  It's not about finding a "work around;" it’s about purpose.  The fact that I've put on a few pounds (and not taken them off) tells me that I'm not as focused as I should be.  (Plus I would love to miraculously shed 10 pounds before the Fest...I know it's not going to happen, but...)

Today is Friday so it SHOULD be a good day.  It is the last day of NJGPA testing which will definitely make my son happy. (After today teachers can actually go back to doing what they do best: teach.)  This standardized stuff has been stressful for all; which is why I am happy that my son and his friends have been able to blow off steam a little bit after school.  There have been trips to Starbucks and drives around town; courtesy of a friend who got her driver's license a couple of weeks ago.  The one "good" thing about testing is that all juniors had to be at school at the same time, and this newly licensed friend was happy to pick up my son every morning which meant less driving for me!  I go back to driving next week when we return to early mornings for choir (she is not in that class).  I'm hoping that my son is paying attention to how his friend drives because from what I've seen (granted, that is limited), she is comfortable, confident and cautious.  Things that I need my son to be.  (As well as more experienced; need to get this kid out on the road.)

It is also supposed to be a sunny and warm day.  I'm prepared for that with my capris and sleeveless shift.  However, as I write this it's barely 50 and foggy.  That's supposed to change.  I HOPE it does because I the next few days are supposed to be rainy and a bit chilly.  I could (we all could?) use a little spring sunshine.  (Especially in light of what is going on in Eastern Europe.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around the brutality that has been thrust on the Ukrainian people.)  Isn’t it time to start prepping the patio for spring?  It’s only two days away.  That alone is worth rejoicing over.  (At least it is in my mind.)

Finally, on my return trip from ShopRite this morning, I actually saw gas for under $4 a gallon.  I never thought that I'd be happy to see gas for $3.95, but...Let's take the wins wherever we can find them!

Wherever you are here’s hoping for a Friday of fun and sun.  Let spring be sprung!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Guilty

Please Don't Ask Me...

Lowe's LIES